How to know when my chickens are going to lay

Mine did not start singing their egg song until they had laid eggs for a week or so. Since I have two hens laying now maybe that is what started the whole egg song. The "Raising Chickens for Dummies" book I read a lot (my chicken Bible, ha, ha!) says that the increase in hormone level makes them go start moving their nesting material around in preparation to lay the egg and once they lay the egg then their hormone level goes down and that decrease tells them they can leave the nest. You will know the song when you hear it because you will start to think that there is some incredible commotion going on in the coop and all that sqwaking and bawking will tell you the eggs have been laid!

I can't wait til I hear their egg song :) Still only one laying for now. Shes laid everyday since the 8th.

Also, can the girls get spurs?

Yep, some hens can grow spurs :) But if you are seeing those little bumps on yours, all chickens have them. HTH!

Well just in case anyone is wondering, I decided to buy some baby chicks and built them a custom coop away from the 4 month olds. When should i integrate the baby's with the others?

If its possible, you can put the baby chicks where the bigger chickens are, but in a separate cage for the baby chicks, that way the big ones know there are some newbies around. I introduced my younger chicks at 8 weeks to my 14 weekers, earlier than I wanted but we had tornado winds here and I had no choice to put them all together, it actually went better than I thought te next day, 2 months later they still get in their spats which is normal, the pecking order will always be there. Before that storm tho, I had my baby chicks in a portable pen inside the chicken house with my bigger chicks for four weeks, first they were inside their brooder, then I moved out there. HTH! ;)

**you can do that separate cage for a few hours during the day outside with them, not sure if I made sense or not!:p

Last edited:
My girls wattles and comb went from being just pinkish in color to bright red when they started laying, what color are your girls right now?

Back
Top Bottom