How to leave my chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by California Girls, Nov 8, 2009.

1. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi everyone,
    I wanted to go away for the weekend, my birthday coming up. My chickens are 14 weeks old. I need to leave them with a sitter. Any tips? [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Our dog sitter comes by once a day to check on the cats and chickens. Ask around - some may be willing to do chickens too.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Make sure you have someone you TRUST. Chickens are very different from cats and dogs, and the same person who may be good with your dog might be a train wreck with your chickens.

On the other hand, I left my chickens with my Dad on Saturday, and he fixed the latch on the chicken house door, so sometimes you luck out XD

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    We go away to our cabin often on the weekends and I leave the chickens "home alone"!!
    I fill all their waterers full of water and make sure their 5gallon feed bucket is full and lock the coop door and tell them goodbye!
    When we are gone for a long period of time or when the weather is too hot to leave them in the coop for the whole time then we have a neighbor go over and let them out in the morning and close them in at night. But otherwise they do fine and are just extremely happy to see us when we return!

5. CreleChick

CreleChick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I do the same thing for weekends. Extra food, water, if it looks like it might rain I put their tarps on, if sunny, shade that is secure make sure everything's good and I don't turn anyone out.

See ya later chickies.

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I can leave mine for 3-4 days at a time, free ranging, before the feeder gets empty. If I wanted to stay longer, I'd just leave more feeders and waterers.

If it's just for a weekend, why would you need a sitter? A couple of days of food and water should do it!

7. 3KillerBs

3KillerBs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    North Carolina Sandhills
    Perhaps contacting the local 4-H people would be a good option for finding a chicken sitter?

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Who takes care of your dog and cat while you're away?? With well written instructions, surely that person could keep an eye on your chickens as well??? It's only a weekend, so plenty of food/water, and someone stopping by once in the evening to lock up, once in the morning to let them out... When you get back, find a friend w/high school kid(s) who might want to make a few bucks...

9. California Girls

California Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, I didn't even need to ask her to watch the chickens- she offered! I guess my main worry is not enough "running loose" in the yard time.
    I feel bad about the being all "cooped up".
    Thanks

10. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I found a great pet sitter at my vet's office. I went in a couple of weeks before I wanted to leave and left my information. It turned out that one of the office assistants lives near me and was a former 4-H kid and had chickens before. She is wonderful.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by