How to let a broody hen hatch eggs

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
I have 3 broody bantams that I've been unable to break, so I'm getting some hatching eggs to put under them. How do I go about doing it? Do i need to do anything, or just put the eggs under them and forget about it? Do i need to candle at all or anything else? I've never hatched eggs before, only bought chicks
20201123_141034.jpg

We had some BO go broody a couple of years ago and they did just fine all on their own. When we heard chicks peeping, being totally inexperienced, we completely panicked, as the hens were brooding in the nests and we realized the chicks could fall out. So we quickly transferred them, hens, eggs, baby chicks and all, to a safer location. All went well and if I recall correctly, 4 hens hatched out a total of 8 chicks, with two of the hens co-parenting 4 babies. It was a bit nerve-wracking but we got through it! 😆

Oh, I also like for my broodies to be on the ground floor of wherever she is. But make sure she will be safe from nosy rosy hens and predators. It’s best that other hens can’t get to her because they can and will lay more eggs to mix in with the ones she’s setting on. It’s always a good idea to mark the initial clutch given to her and any new ones removed daily.
Thank you so much! She picked the ground nesting box so she is good. I've been kicking her out once a day to try to get her to eat.

The broody definitely will do all the work. However, I still like the ability to check on Mother Nature’s amazing process and progress. I do like to candle at at least the 8-10 day mark and then again on Day 17.

Make sure she has access to food, water and a dust bathing spot when she gets up for a quickie me-time.

Just put the eggs under and mark the calender so you know when yo check. You don't need do candle if there is a way for the hen to roll bad eggs out of the box
There is a lip on the nesting boxes, so i don't think she can roll any out. How often would you suggest candling them?

Back
Top Bottom