How to let chickens out...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Vadgo, May 14, 2009.

1. Vadgo

Vadgo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    I don't have a run, and I would like to free range the chickens eventually.
    Right now my biggest concern is my barn cats. How can introduce the chickens so that the barn cats leave them alone?
    I'm willing to risk the hawks, and hoping the neighbors dog that comes around once in a blue moon won't kill them all, but I'd hate to turn the chickens loose only to see my barn cats dine on them freely.

I have three 12 week old BR and BO
    6 bantams and 11 rare mixed breeds that are 9 weeks old. I don't have any wire besides one roll of chicken wire, and I don't have the money to buy wire to build a run at this moment.

Thanks for the advice.

2. tasymo

tasymo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Mulliken
    Good question. Now our house cat was no problem. She grew up with cockatiels as siblings, so when the chicks came along, she was a bit miffed by the extra attention they got, but never considered hurting them. She's a very fluffy, long haired cat, and I think the chicks thought she was a Mama hen. Barn cats may be a totally different matter, since they are used to hunting mice and such. I wouldn't trust them around your chicks. Once they are full grown, your Girls will probably be O.K., as long as the cats are well fed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by