How to maintain longevity in flock/what are realistic expectations?

Chickenboutique

Hatching
Apr 17, 2022
Happy Easter! Seems like an appropriate day to discuss my new chicks and how I ensure they live a long, prosperous life. This is my 2nd batch of chickens. I started with a motley crew of ten 5 years ago and all but 2 have perished. I've conducted extensive research to figure out the culprit. They begin their decline by breathing funning which usually accompanies diarrhea (some sort of respiratory virus??). I administer antibiotics quickly and sometimes they rally while other times not. Inevitably after they begin the descent it's usually months before they die. Not sure if my expectations are too high and 5 years is considered "old" for most hens. I place copious amounts of time with my birds. They are my buddies and it saddens me to lose one. I've done everything from giving them probiotics to ACV. The girls free range at times and inevitably are exposed to wild birds such as sparrows. Wondering if I should completely net off their run making it impossible for the smaller wild birds to enter their coop? Every single one I've lost made it to roughly year 3. Not sure if Merrick's would still be a culprit considering that fact? These are grange purchased chicks so the assumption that all have been vaccinated is warranted? Thanks for reading my post and if you have any insight that will help me be a better parent I'd mightily appreciate it.

not everyone will agree but if you want longevity find a local breeder that makes health and vigor a priority in the flock- meaning they don’t breed from young pullets, don’t hatch eggs from hens that have been sick, and don’t medicate instead breed for resistance (they cull the birds that show symptoms of disease and only keep the ones that never get sick). I never realized that many hatcheries keep breeders only the first year of laying because that’s their most productive, the chicks from these hens never have the benefit of getting disease resistant passed down because their parents were never exposed to anything.
Number 2 thing is a quality fresh feed with little to no treats to delute the nutrition of the feed. Take the extra you would spend on treats and put it towards a better quality feed. Better nutrition =better immune system. Many backyard chickens are over weight and die of fatty liver because we love them too much and give them too many treats.
Another though is you mentioned that you give antibiotics to one’s with respiratory symptoms, majority of respiratory infection in chickens is viral so even though you give the antibiotics and they seem better they are still carriers and every time they get stress their symptoms are weakened and they may also be shedding the virus to the rest of the flock.
Also read the sticky on the top of this forum- Speckledhens 10 commandments of flock management and follow it.

Last edited:
Number One.

WHAT DO YOU FEED THEM?

While there are breeds famed for poor health (Cx - bred for table, not longevity. Production RSL - bred for popping out eggs like a Pez dispenser, not for longevity), its my understanding that an average bird could be looking at anything from 7-10 years, maybe longer, under good conditions.

Sure, the physical conditions in which you keep them will control their level of incidental exposure to potential disease carriers like wild birds, but their diet (and I don't mean ACV!) and their activity levels are the primary determinants of general health. Yes, genetics sets the upper limit and may impose some predispositions, but no matter how good your genes, a poor diet will put you on a trajectory straight into the ground.

Not sure if Merrick's would still be a culprit considering that fact? These are grange purchased chicks so the assumption that all have been vaccinated is warranted?
Are you actually seeing Marek's symptoms before birds pass?

Never assume chicks are vaccinated. The default is always unvaccinated as there's an extra charge for vaccinated chicks. The feed stores I get chicks from order vaccinated chicks as their default but it's noted on their annual chick list.

Back
Top Bottom