1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How To Make A Cheap Brooder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by new2chickens2011, Aug 27, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Hi everyone,
    My chickies are growing out of their little rabbit cage brooder..... I need to makea bigger one but I don't have many materials and can't spend much money...Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Time to go dumpster diving then [​IMG] if you have construction near you, they're usually more than happy to let you haul away their scraps. That's how my coop and quarentine hutch were built. Ones trash is anothers treasure. Good luck!

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Large cardboard boxes work well. You can even tape two smaller ones together if you can't get one big enough.

4. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks for your suggestions! I ended up scouring the garage and finding an old large storage container, which I made a top for with some wood scraps and chicken wire:)

5. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    I make a large circular wall with old corrugated plastic political signs. It works great!

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have new chicks coming too, I set up an old utility trailer that's about 5x8 foot and put a couple OSB boards over the top to keep raccoons out.

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I make mine out of 4' x 8' OSB board I made a box 8' long and 30" wide put welded wire on the top to keep the birds in . Total cost about $10.

8. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I just used a large moving box the last few times. I have also used the portable/foldable dog kennels that we had in the garage for them, just lined the inside and bottom with something ...I think was cardboard....to keep the chicks from slipping thru the holes until they were too big to do so. We kept our chicks in the kennel tho for a while...till they were about 9 or 10 weeks tho cos the coop was still in progress lol

9. new2chickens2011

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks Everyone!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by