How to make a homemade feeder? And, is whole corn good to feed?

They are not laying right now and I'm feeding layer pellets. @Kiki or someone said they should start laying in February or March. Do I really have to buy more food just because they are not laying??

My best suggestion is to give them their regular feed in the morning BUT serve it up in a wet form. Mix regular pellets or crumble with hot water, let it sit for 10 minutes. If it is the consistency of cooked oatmeal good!
If not add water or more pellets as needed.
Even my luckiest eaters will walk away from eating scratch to eat the morning mash.
Don't let them out to range until they have eaten their breakfast. ;)
Don't put a huge amount out. Just enough that everyone can get a 1/4-1/2 cup.

Best plan EVER!
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a shot when I can and let you know what they think.

They are not laying right now and I'm feeding layer pellets. @Kiki or someone said they should start laying in February or March. Do I really have to buy more food just because they are not laying??
I have a pair of pullets that turned 38 weeks without an egg this week. All they do is EAT.

I’d ask to exchange the corn...

Throw it in the trash.

Don't waste the corn! Carry it away from your chickens, to a local park or somewhere, and feed it to squirrels! Squirrels love corn! Deer love corn! Give it to someone who loves squirrels. Or pigeons. Ducks, maybe? Don't know if it's good for ducks but I bet they would love it. Correct me if I'm wrong, duck people!

The days are getting longer. They will start laying pretty soon.
I would go ahead and feed the layer....It isn't the PRIME choice for those not laying but is WAY better than scratch and corn.

So I have to waste the corn and through away my money? :hmm
You can do whatever you want with it.
Feed it to your birds but know that fat hens aren't healthy.

Do your parents let you eat chips and candy everyday?

Think of corn as candy or chips or junk food.

Sure it's okay to give your hens some...occasionally...not every day and not a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom