How to make a homemade feeder? And, is whole corn good to feed?

Pics

cluckmecoop7

💙🖤💙🖤
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jan 4, 2019
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a simple, easy, whole corn/layer pellet feeder for chickens? I would like something that keeps the food dry when it rains. I was also wondering if it is a good idea to feed whole corn?
Thanks!
- Clucky

I made one similar to one pictured.
I used a smaller square bucket from menards with a lid. I only have 2 chickens. It works great, holds lots of food and water can't get in.
Screenshot_20200112-171842_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200112-171842_Chrome.jpg

Whole corn.....no not a complete feed by any stretch.

Chickens are omnivores...they REQUIRE a lot more than just corn to be healthy.

Yes, I understand that. There is a youtube channel called "Becky's homestead" and that's where I found that she fed whole corn plus other feed. Right now I have on hand layer pellets, scratch, whole corn, and oyster shells. What should I be feeding and how much?

Oh dear. :hmm

That particular YouTube channel has been a source of a lot of debates.

I watched many of her videos so I could see for myself.

My personal belief is she is full of crap.

Layer feed....as stated in the bag is a complete feed no supplements needed. I do find high production breeds benefit from having oyster shell available in a separate dish.

Scratch and whole corn are treats. Treats tend to be low in protein. IF giving any treats do so in extreme moderation. For real less than 1/8th of a cup worth per chicken per day.
Bulky treats like fruits and vegetables I go up to 1/4 cup of coarse chopped veggies.

Remember that layer feed tends to be 16% protein. Giving treats low in protein dilutes the nutrients they are taking in.

There is a reason whole corn is cheap and it is NOT because it is nutritious.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom