how to make chopping block

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by PaigeHgibson, May 12, 2011.

1. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    can someone tell me (pics help ) how to make a chopping block

also if anyone has pics and instructions on how to dress a chicken that would be great

Thank you

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    For how to process chickens, look at the sticky on top of the Meat Birds section. There are different ways, but Frugal's thread has great pictures.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When I was young my dad would just put 2 nails (neck width apart) in a log laying on the ground, put the head on one side pull the feet and axe them, drop the chicken in a burlap sack till it stopped running.

Now I use a killing cone and slit the jugular, I like this method much better.
    I made mine out of aluminum flashing and pop rivets I had laying around. Read that as free.
    A SHARP knife is critical. I cut myself more than the chicken when using a dull one.

I have to butcher by myself so keeping water hot is a hassle so unless I want a whole bird for roasting, I skin them using this method
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/grim79.html

5. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    We have a chipping block out in the shop that must be a century old and weighs a metric ton. It's 1" sycamore laminated with the end grain sticking up and it is maybe 30" in diameter. The top is 2 feet thick so the top has plenty of mass when you're cutting up a hog or a steer. It has legs but either my ancestors were shorter or their backs were stronger. Give you good odds which.

My guess is you just want to cut the heads off of chickens. In that case, as mentioned previously, a hunk of a log with a couple of nails should do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by