how to make golden duckwings?

Quote:
I believe sjarvis is right about going the Silver Duckwing Male over the gold duckwing hen, breeding for golden duckwing is not as easy as one my think, at least if you plan to show them..

would be nice to have introduce, Dominant Dilute, or Cream to the OEG to make true breeding Golden Duckwings..

here is a nice Cream duckwing

Brian Reeder believes European Partridge Wyandottes that have lemon hackles and saddles have Dominant Dilute
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg218/choc_013/IMGP9093-1-1.jpg

It is in process as we speak, Located a cream light brown dutch cockrell that was donated to the cause, and 3 of my BB red OE hens eggs have started dropping. The Boys should be well set for showing "Golden Males" in a year or so..

WOW... you are Fast...

I'll be doing my part on the Dominant Dilute gene, seems like its somewhat weaker than Cream as it turns the hackle and saddle to a lemon color and not quite cream.. BUT its nice..

my frind Mrs. Kaz is helping me out alot this is one of her quotes
Quote:
so basicaly Di/di+ boys can't be spot, just Di/di+ saddly I did not hatch any girls, I will be using one of my boys and breed him back to his mother and about 3 more wild type OEG hens and see if I can spot a few hens, and see if I can spot a Di/Di boy from the buff hen... wish me good luck

It helps having serious friends in the Show world of Dutch.. A gentleman I know not far from me donated a cockrell for the cause, I donated 3 hens then a simple F1xF1 and off and running.. Breeding year round helps too. I figure a trio by spring to breed back from and a few cockrells set asside for the boys to show. They know the rules though nothing is for sale and teh hens are never to be seen by anyone else. Going to add Blue to the mix next year as well so to get Blue golden 50% of the time instead of 12%. I like that better anyway.

Quote:
she is one of my mentors on the coop, she has also interesting birds, she keeps Modern Games, and she just showed me something special, kind of tiger stripes..

so, let say 30 more days for the chicks to hatch(to give some time for the hens to finish laying) 7 more months to have f1xf1 and 6 more to show f2?...

Quote:
she is one of my mentors on the coop, she has also interesting birds, she keeps Modern Games, and she just showed me something special, kind of tiger stripes..

so, let say 30 more days for the chicks to hatch(to give some time for the hens to finish laying) 7 more months to have f1xf1 and 6 more to show f2?...

Tiger Stripped? I have to ask now... Golden Pheasant x brown Red? I have thought of this for a long time.. used to use pheasant with with LF Game for other purposes.. But I thin if focused one could retain alot of the male color..

Quote:

Tiger Stripped? I have to ask now... Golden Pheasant x brown Red? I have thought of this for a long time.. used to use pheasant with with LF Game for other purposes.. But I thin if focused one could retain alot of the male color..

let me find them pics, but how do you plan to show cream OEG in about a year? do you already have het cream f1 maturing and waiting for f1xf1?

Edit..

is not a Pheasant x chicken hybrid, but a undocumented as of yet columbian like restrictor, or a a gene interacting with a documented one..no one knows..
this is how the Roo chest looks like, like Horizontal tiger stripes...WILD...
tongue.png

br-p_male_close.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

let me find them pics, but how do you plan to show cream OEG in about a year? do you already have het cream f1 maturing and waiting for f1xf1?

First birds are already 8 weeks old... So breeding age in 4 more months, 10 pullets with 2 cockrells should yield a large number of F2 with 25% being Creme Cockrells could be showable by 8 months but better at 10-11 months.. Pullets breeding again at 6 months on lights so 2 generations in 1 year, and the third generation will be Creme x creme just keep working type and getting the white earlobe out, but with a well dubbed male the earlobe color plays little role.

Quote:

First birds are already 8 weeks old... So breeding age in 4 more months, 10 pullets with 2 cockrells should yield a large number of F2 with 25% being Creme Cockrells could be showable by 8 months but better at 10-11 months.. Pullets breeding again at 6 months on lights so 2 generations in 1 year, and the third generation will be Creme x creme just keep working type and getting the white earlobe out, but with a well dubbed male the earlobe color plays little role.

AWESOME...

here the rest of the bird..
br-p_male_full.jpg

What does the hackle saddle and body look like? That is apparently based of of Brown Red if in Modern game.. Was it just selection? see I think one could cross in Golden Pheasant, run f1xf1 select for color and pattern.. and get a good start there.. You have to breed the pheasant out due to teritorial and nervous nature but I think on ecould get the striping in hackle, and other fetures of the bird given time.
the F1 females are not very productive but could be worked through..

Quote:
that's the only pic so far, and yes he is based on E^R which is harder to restrict by the likes of Columbian or DarkBrown.. nice uh? I been folowing PheasantXchicken hybrids for quite a while now, and seems the only mating that gives you fertile males is the silver pheasent one, which does not have that exotic look of the golden one, but you never know untill you make enough crosess...

Quote:
that's the only pic so far, and yes he is based on E^R which is harder to restrict by the likes of Columbian or DarkBrown.. nice uh? I been folowing PheasantXchicken hybrids for quite a while now, and seems the only mating that gives you fertile males is the silver pheasent one, which does not have that exotic look of the golden one, but you never know untill you make enough crosess...

I have not tried alot of ornamental pheasants in the past but wasn't after a look.. Now I think it would be nice to breed one for appearances..

Anyone want this roo of unknown breed(s)? He is the best rooster (personality, hardy, etc) that I've ever owned. I'm in western Montana and would drive up to six hours to meet you halfway, or you could pay for shipping. King Arthur is at least two years old and free to a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom