How To Make Success As A Horse Trainer

Pics

Welshies

Crowing
May 8, 2016
Alberta, Canada
So I just recently set up my contract, insurance, and website in order to train horses for others. I have considerable experience, but I'm young (college student), so I'm really worried that will put people off. I've had 150 page views already, as well as posted a variety of ads here and there.
This is my website. theviewhorsemanship.weebly.com
How can I get people to look past my youth? I look quite young for my age. How can I make it successful? There is lots of demand here. I have two people lined up to potentially put in a booking for springtime. I have another person who might bring their horse up this weekend, and I had someone lined up but they backed out.

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust a young person either unless they come with successful references. Generally you need to earn that good reputation one person at a time. It's best to not charge as much as others in order to draw in folks willing to try a cheaper alternative. It can take years to build a good reputation, and business.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I wouldn't trust a young person either unless they come with successful references. Generally you need to earn that good reputation one person at a time. It's best to not charge as much as otherwise in order to draw in folks willing to try a cheaper alternative. It can take years to build a good reputation, and business.
I have included a reference page on my website, but unfortunately I only have 2 "reviews" so far. I am known in the show circuit a bit, as I have shown provincially, and I keep my prices competitive but cheap ($600 a month compared to the average $800).

Everything worth having in life takes time. When I started my grooming business it took 2-3 years to build a clientele, and for there to be a general knowledge of my skills.

Horse training can be seasonal as well, so you may just have to wait a few more months.
Of course. Now if only my need for money was seasonal as well, argh!:he:lol:

not in horses but I work and breed GSDs. I don't look at the age of the person but experience. What have you done with YOUR animals? What titles, ribbons, etc have you won with your personal animals? Have you helped a friend or family member work their horses? What accomplishments have they achieved?
Those are the things that matter. I would take a teenager who has put multiples titles on various animals over an older person who hasn't.

not in horses but I work and breed GSDs. I don't look at the age of the person but experience. What have you done with YOUR animals? What titles, ribbons, etc have you won with your personal animals? Have you helped a friend or family member work their horses? What accomplishments have they achieved?
Those are the things that matter. I would take a teenager who has put multiples titles on various animals over an older person who hasn't.
Thank you!
I do have multiple titles as well as some references. I'm slowly getting real booked up.

Word-of-mouth and favorable results in various disciplines are the best advertisements you can get; save your advertising $$$.
If you're good, you'll be turning people away, just like farriers.
Well, the only advertising I'm doing in free posters and free online advertisements.
I've already begun to become more strict. I had no idea how much demand there would be. I've got a Fjord coming in February for sure, and another potential client coming in February (I have one spot left). In March I have someone wanting THREE MONTHS of training on their unbroke filly, so I was lenient and didn't make them reserve a spot, but I'm going to have to start making people pay to reserve a spot... I can't have too many horses at once.

I'm going to pretend I'm a potential client. I visit your website and this is my conclusion: You need to have more information on your website. It says "4 different services" but doesn't go into detail what exactly those services are. What training are you offering? What training do you have? Do you still train with someone? What level are the horses you have trained at now? As a client, I'm going to want to see what results you've had in the past before I dive in and send you a horse. I wouldn't worry about your age at all, you will find bias throughout the horse world for many different reasons. Your best bet is just to do your thing and keep your chin up! Good luck to you and I wish you much success!

Back
Top Bottom