How to make (the factories) improve the flaws in the DIY chicken coops. 🤩

Pics
I have noticed that the plastic prefabs seem to be more solidly built than the common wooden ones -- especially the ones Americans can buy at Tractor Supply and like chain stores.
I've been quite surprised. I moan about the new plastic coop a lot but I would buy another. I've been quite anti prefab coops in the past but I've learned something here. Even the simple coops I've built in the past would cost quite a lot to build here in the UK. I would have to use Marine ply rather than construction ply for example. Marine ply is close to three times the price in the UK. Decent timber for the exterior frame isn't cheap either.

I've been quite surprised. I moan about the new plastic coop a lot but I would buy another. I've been quite anti prefab coops in the past but I've learned something here. Even the simple coops I've built in the past would cost quite a lot to build here in the UK. I would have to use Marine ply rather than construction ply for example. Marine ply is close to three times the price in the UK. Decent timber for the exterior frame isn't cheap either.
Last chicken thing I build was extra run space. I used cheap wood for the construction and preserved it with a special black fungi ‘paint’ and linseed oil to preserve it. It’s natural and makes it possible to save money on the construction.

An acquaintance developed and marketed this , and I got it for a lower price as usual. The fungi paint works great. Nothing is going bad. So a few years ago I painted the whole coop in dark color with the same fungi and oil.
I believe the owner is exporting too. Trade name is Xyhlo and it can be used to preserve the prefabs too.
https://www.xyhlo.com/en/

I think a better solution than trying to make companies do better, is for someone to just make their own company and do better. But I think many of the people complaining here would then realize why things are the way they are. Companies like Over EZ made a high-quality prefab, but the price is pretty high. You just can't make a quality coop that can be mass produced and sold for as cheap of price as some of these coops we have been discussing are. Especially now. If someone wants to make their own company and prove me wrong, more power to ya.
I have an Over EZ coop and even though it seems to be made with quality materials, I still had to add A LOT of ventilation and modify roost bar placement. Over EZ is also guilty of fibbing on the numbers, as far as how many chickens it houses. I have the "large", which is 24 sq.ft, and they advertise it to fit up to 15! Granted, as far as "prefabs" go, Over EZ is one of the better ones, but for as much as we spent, we could have bought a brand new shed, 3 times the size, and made modifications to that. :barnie It seems impossible to find an affordable option that meets all of the "standard requirements" (4 sq.ft/bird and 1 sq.ft of ventilation/bird, plus 1 linear foot of roost space/bird -- no way, not for under $5k).

I'll have to check where the coops are made in the list I posted above.
The coop I bought is made in Scotland. It isn't very well made. The material is good quality. It's the workmanship and to a lesser extent the design which while looking quite cool, makes me think it was designed by someone who doesn't know much about chickens, but knows how to make things out of recycled plastic. What is good is the idea. The coop is seriously strong. I did things to it getting it from the roadside into the run that no coop should ever be subjected to. If it had been a wooden coop it would have been matchwood by now.
The coop is very easy to clean, and I mean mite and pest free clean as well as the day to day stuff.
Once I've filled up the gaps where the side locating lugs go into the coop roof it will be waterproof and because of the rounded shape difficult for the wind to blow over.
I can see I'm going to end up writing an article on it.

Until fairly recently China has produced goods for the world under licence, or direct control of mainly Western nations, the US and Europe in particular. It's these companies that set the quality standards, not the Chinese. This has changed a lot in the last 20 years and more and more Chinese owned and controlled companies are now exporting to the US and Europe. I own a few of these hi tech, Chinese designed and manufactured products and they've performed very well at a fraction of the cost similar products made in the UK would cost.
I also own a similar hi tech product made in the USA by a small American company. It's an great product and somehow they managed to sell it in the British markets at a price near that of an identical Chinese version of the product. However most of the componants were made in China.
I don't know what list of coops you are referring to. I am talking about prefab coops that can be found on commonly-used websites such as Amazon, Walmart, and Chewy. And the ones from stores such as Home Depot and Tractor Supply. In my search for a prefab coop, I only came across ones made in China. My search was for a coop under $400 or 500 that could fit 4 chickens, which is common for first-time backyard owners.

I'm not sure I understand the relevance of your argument about who owns Chinese companies and different technologies you've bought from them. The bottom line is that products are made cheaply in China because the country's wage and work condition laws are very lax (whether a US or UK company is overseeing products made for a particular company or not). And I want to remind you that we are talking about chicken coops here, not other products that you describe. I stick to my argument that for a company based in China to sell a better quality coop (typically made of wood, plastic, or a combination of those), ship it across the world, and still be profitable, they would have to charge MUCH more. So I still think we are getting nowhere in trying to get these companies to do better. If the prefab coops aren't good enough, it's most cost efficient to build your own or buy one locally.

I don't know what list of coops you are referring to.
This list.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...the-diy-chicken-coops-🤩.1549666/post-26184236

If the prefab coops aren't good enough, it's most cost efficient to build your own or buy one locally.
It wasn't for me and I suspect if the full costs are taken into account it isn't for many others.
I don't know if you've ever built a coop yourself but what I've found is by the time one has factored in the tools required, the transportation of the materials, the cost of all the materials, not to menton having the space, preferably sheltered a prefab coop often works out cheaper even if one has to make alterations.
I would be interested to see the coops you've built and their approximate costings should you feel like posting them.

I have acquired a few of the prefab coops through my side business. For what it takes to add ventilation and make them secure against predators. (Grooves for the hardware cloth instead of tiny staples. Solid siding instead of flimsy slats. Plywood covered by shingles of metal for the roof)The factories would more than likely have to at least double the price of them. Which would put them in the same price range as the OverEZ type or individual built coops. Without the quality. So people would not buy them. If you do not have the skill set or the tools to build your own coop. In my opinion it would be better for your poultry and your bank account. To bypass the cheaply made boxed up, pre-fab coops and spend your money on a higher quality coop to begin with.
I've not read this entire thread so far, but did want to chime in:

When I was young and able to kneel etc. I built my own coop and yard. That was almost 30 years ago!

I want to get back into bantams but was trying to figure out what I could get without breaking my bank account, and without resorting to the cheap stuff I've seen at Tractor Supply.

I'm about ready to seriously find a coop, so I went online and started searching. Everything is the same, cute "Amish" designs, cheap, cheap, cheap...or out of my price range.

About ten pages into the search I found a company in Texas that I think I will do business with. The coops have lots of ventilation and their designs include what I was looking for, something WITHOUT a solid bottom, sides with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, AND cedar shingles! I want to move it around, too, and some of these have wheelbarrow handles and skids. They also have interesting designs for a portable fence.

For your perusal and input:

http://www.ranch-coop.com/large-chicken-coop-B.html

http://www.ranch-coop.com/A-shippable-4x4.html

Attachments

• Pre-Made-Coop-Kits__element359.jpg
    Pre-Made-Coop-Kits__element359.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2

When I was young and able to kneel etc. I built my own coop and yard. That was almost 30 years ago!

I want to get back into bantams but was trying to figure out what I could get without breaking my bank account, and without resorting to the cheap stuff I've seen at Tractor Supply.

I'm about ready to seriously find a coop, so I went online and started searching. Everything is the same, cute "Amish" designs, cheap, cheap, cheap...or out of my price range.

About ten pages into the search I found a company in Texas that I think I will do business with. The coops have lots of ventilation and their designs include what I was looking for, something WITHOUT a solid bottom, sides with hardware cloth instead of chicken wire, AND cedar shingles! I want to move it around, too, and some of these have wheelbarrow handles and skids. They also have interesting designs for a portable fence.

These are great examples of a better prefab. I'd double check the door closers against the types of predators the chickens would attract where you live and perhaps think of a way to prevent digging predators from getting in. Also, it might need to be positioned in the shade during summer. Would poop get in the water and food? I guess that depends on what sort of containers you use and where you place them. But that's only 3 points to consider, so I'd say these prefabs look like an exceptionally good choice, they're extremely well-constructed and I love the design, which is unique, practical and beautiful.

They look lovely. They're reasonably priced.
I wouldn't buy one. They don't have the features I want in a coop.

These are great examples of a better prefab. I'd double check the door closers against the types of predators the chickens would attract where you live and perhaps think of a way to prevent digging predators from getting in. Also, it might need to be positioned in the shade during summer. Would poop get in the water and food? I guess that depends on what sort of containers you use and where you place them. But that's only 3 points to consider, so I'd say these prefabs look like an exceptionally good choice, they're extremely well-constructed and I love the design, which is unique, practical and beautiful.
1. Agreed on the door closers, we have raccoons. Adding another latch was something I planned on.

2. I have a huge roll of hardware cloth I could use around the edges to deter digging. My old coop had a hardware cloth floor, safe and the droppings fell through.

3. It can be moved, some of their coops have wheelbarrow type handles and runners. The coops are designed to be moved every couple days onto fresh grass, like a chicken tractor. They could be placed in the shade, solid side facing west/south, lots of possibilities.

4. Food and water would probably be raised, on a paver, perhaps.

I'm capable of making changes, upgrades, just not equipped to create a coop from scratch. And the price can't be beat. I've sent an inquiry to the company for the actual weight of each coop before I buy.

They look lovely. They're reasonably priced.
I wouldn't buy one. They don't have the features I want in a coop.
Yet they come pretty close to what I was planning on building.

In one of the pages it was stated that nesting boxes outside the main coop can get very hot in the summer, so these coops have them inside. This company is in Texas, I'm in NC, I understand about heat in summer!

Finally, I like that I can disassemble the coop if I move to another home, state...I don't have to leave it behind.

Back
Top Bottom