How to manage a Rooster and be the boss?

Just one thing, a 'friendly' cockerel can be the worst.
At that age, I like my cockerels to have a healthy respect for me, and mostly keep out of my way.
Then, when they are older and don't have raging hormones any more, I will gain their trust and get them to relax with me.
It may be important to note that I hand raised him from 2 days old. Not sure if that makes a rooster more friendly…. As of now I’ve treated him more like a pet but having read more about roosters I want to do the right thing and establish the right boundaries. Being proactive. I didn’t like that he pecked at me and did a shuffle dance at me… though I understand it and his role.

It may be important to note that I hand raised him from 2 days old. Not sure if that makes a rooster more friendly…. As of now I’ve treated him more like a pet but having read more about roosters I want to do the right thing and establish the right boundaries. Being proactive. I didn’t like that he pecked at me and did a shuffle dance at me… though I understand it and his role.
Being hand raised, he will be more friendly, which is often the same as just bold.
Not to say that you can't hand raise a nice rooster, but it is harder, and may be more likely to fail.
You are right to not like him pecking and dancing for you. These behavers should be for hens only!
@3KillerBs advise for walking though cockerels and roosters as if they are not there and making them get out the way is very sound, I have found.

Being hand raised, he will be more friendly, which is often the same as just bold.
Not to say that you can't hand raise a nice rooster, but it is harder, and may be more likely to fail.
You are right to not like him pecking and dancing for you. These behavers should be for hens only!
@3KillerBs advise for walking though cockerels and roosters as if they are not there and making them get out the way is very sound, I have found.
Good advice! Thank you! So you’re saying I can’t befriend my rooster? :( or rather, I shouldn’t? Appreciate your comments

Good advice! Thank you! So you’re saying I can’t befriend my rooster? :( or rather, I shouldn’t? Appreciate your comments
I just think you should let him grow up a bit more beforehand.
In the moment, think of him like the teenager he is.
Teens want to test boundaries, and are trying to find out who they want to be. So I would let him work out how the world works and where he stands in it by himself without cuddling him too much.
Let him learn about authority!
Then, once he has settled down, that is the time to befriend him, and you can make a partnership and both look after the flock together.

But this is just how I deal with my cockerels and roosters, and there is a lot of different ways people do it.
See if you can find out what works for you.

I just think you should let him grow up a bit more beforehand.
In the moment, think of him like the teenager he is.
Teens want to test boundaries, and are trying to find out who they want to be. So I would let him work out how the world works and where he stands in it by himself without cuddling him too much.
Let him learn about authority!
Then, once he has settled down, that is the time to befriend him, and you can make a partnership and both look after the flock together.

But this is just how I deal with my cockerels and roosters, and there is a lot of different ways people do it.
See if you can find out what works for you.
I appreciate this info because I hadn’t thought about it this way and really want to do the right thing in the end. Thanks!

The 2nd tip is a myth. My rooster always mates his hens in front of me. It doesn't change his behavior towards me. He's still calm and attentive, even as he gets older.
Nice to hear about your experience! Thanks! And was your rooster calm when he was younger too? Should I worry that mine does a little shuffle dance at me and did peck at me twice

From 6 months to about a year old. He acted out like a selfish brat. During that age he danced around me, harassed the hens, first to eat, pecked my hand, challenged my top hen which was a golden laced Wyandotte. She was a fierce hen but when I saw them fight, he totally dominated her after 5 minutes of fighting. Ever since that occurred, she was his favorite hen. And she grew to like his company.

He started to behave extremely well after a year old. Perfect gentleman that's when I started to call him Prince, short for prince charming. He's become very well behaved as he's aging around me, my partner, and my dog.

I can easily pick him up to examine him without him kicking or retaliating.

From 6 months to about a year old. He acted out like a selfish brat. During that age he danced around me, harassed the hens, first to eat, pecked my hand, challenged my top hen which was a golden laced Wyandotte. She was a fierce hen but when I saw them fight, he totally dominated her after 5 minutes of fighting. Ever since that occurred, she was his favorite hen. And she grew to like his company.

He started to behave extremely well after a year old. Perfect gentleman that's when I started to call him Prince, short for prince charming. He's become very well behaved as he's aging around me, my partner, and my dog.

I can easily pick him up to examine him without him kicking or retaliating.
I’m glad he mellowed out! I wonder if that’s common? Do you think it takes time or around a year for them to calm down?

Back
Top Bottom