How to manage a Rooster and be the boss?

@ Browniethechicken - you don't have to wait until they are grown 10 years, unless they are infants now? Once a child gets to be 7+ he/she is tall enough not to take an attack in the face, and generally have enough weight not to knocked down.

But if it is hard for you to cull a rooster, just an all hen flock is nice too.

Mrs K
The pullets/hens seem great without the cockerel. Certainly, my alpha hen is happier since he left her with a bloody wound on her head. She’s healing well. Things are quieter on the homestead. Family misses the crowing though.

Your experience is valuable. Thank you for sharing. I was under the impression that rooster aggression and displays of dominance are commonplace. I appreciate hearing your take. Glad to hear it! Why do you think you’ve had so few human aggressive roosters? What do you attribute it to? Perhaps, your breeding program and care? Thank you for sharing. I’m sad that mine started pecking at my kid and a top hen. He was a cool dude. I thought handling and picking him up would help. Couldn’t risk escalation with my kid otherwise I would have stuck it out. Again, thanks for commenting!
Your experience is valuable. Thank you for sharing. I was under the impression that rooster aggression and displays of dominance are commonplace. I appreciate hearing your take. Glad to hear it! Why do you think you’ve had so few human aggressive roosters? What do you attribute it to? Perhaps, your breeding program and care? Thank you for sharing. I’m sad that mine started pecking at my kid and a top hen. He was a cool dude. I thought handling and picking him up would help. Couldn’t risk escalation with my kid otherwise I would have stuck it out. Again, thanks for commenting!
I have close to 200 chickens. So I don’t go out of my way to make them pets. Even with those numbers, I have some hens that feel secure enough around people. That when we are sitting out in the yard. They will jump up on a knee or or chair arm. To inspect us more closely. Some will settle down into a roosting position and even close their eyes. A few will allow themselves to be petted. Since the hens came to us, the roosters don’t view as a threat, that they need to defend against. I currently have a bantam rooster that will also get up in a chair with us. He has gone as far as letting us massage his comb and settled in for a nap. Unlike a hen, that will jump down if they don’t feel like being touched. He will flare his hackles and peck at our hands. Which he gets forced off the chair for.

Last edited:
I have close to 200 chickens. So I don’t go out of my way to make them pets. Even with those numbers, I have some hens that feel secure enough around people. That when we are sitting out in the yard. They will jump up on a knee or or chair arm. To inspect us more closely. Some will settle down into a roosting position and even close their eyes. A few will allow themselves to be petted. Since the hens came to us, the roosters don’t view as a threat, that they need to defend against. I currently have a bantam rooster that will also get up in a chair with us. He has gone as far as letting us massage his comb and settled in for a nap. Unlike a hen, that will jump down if they don’t feel like being touched. He will flare his hackles and peck at our hands. Which he gets forced off the chair for.
That makes a lot of sense. Very cool! My approach was very different with a small flock and treating them like pets.

There are 3 kinds of roosters, one that will stay away from you, but watch you the whole time, and one that will come up to you for love, but not try and fight you, and then the aggressive kind.

I don't have trouble with any kind, since if an aggressive rooster comes up to me I grab it an carry it around, soon it learns if it comes around it will be picked up. If you ever show fear and run from a rooster, he has placed you lower in his pecking order, and the abuse will get worse.
I never offer a boot or a broom to fight him, that is also putting yourself on his level. He is up for the challenge. Always walk with purpose, but keep an eye on him, if he does come up don't turn your back on him.
And bring treats.

Thanks for your message. I’m curious what realities chickens have taught you? I’m fascinated please tell me more. And I would agree!
lol - just warching the ways they do things--alot like people. One has a lizard and everyone wants it. People can be mean .. ive experienced the pecking order myself. They like to have dust baths... its almost like they are relaxing at the spa... almost everyone likes to have relax time..lol. Chickens get spoiled.. you give them too many treats and thats all they want--people are like that. Chickens tend to follow the leader--for the most part they stick together for safety and psychological comfort and they learn from watching each other -sort of like kids. Finally, life is a cycle...the circle of life and you see that thru the life if chickens. I dont know--its interesting to me anyway😉

There are 3 kinds of roosters, one that will stay away from you, but watch you the whole time, and one that will come up to you for love, but not try and fight you, and then the aggressive kind.

I don't have trouble with any kind, since if an aggressive rooster comes up to me I grab it an carry it around, soon it learns if it comes around it will be picked up. If you ever show fear and run from a rooster, he has placed you lower in his pecking order, and the abuse will get worse.
I never offer a boot or a broom to fight him, that is also putting yourself on his level. He is up for the challenge. Always walk with purpose, but keep an eye on him, if he does come up don't turn your back on him.
And bring treats.
Thank you! Very good and helpful info!

lol - just warching the ways they do things--alot like people. One has a lizard and everyone wants it. People can be mean .. ive experienced the pecking order myself. They like to have dust baths... its almost like they are relaxing at the spa... almost everyone likes to have relax time..lol. Chickens get spoiled.. you give them too many treats and thats all they want--people are like that. Chickens tend to follow the leader--for the most part they stick together for safety and psychological comfort and they learn from watching each other -sort of like kids. Finally, life is a cycle...the circle of life and you see that thru the life if chickens. I dont know--its interesting to me anyway😉
Very well stated!!! Yes! You are so right! Made me think that’s why I enjoy being around them too

My favorite advice on roosters comes from @Shadrach
He wrote at least one article about it if not more.
I personally don’t handle cockerels as soon as I can tell that a chick is developing into one. I don’t want them to view me as part of the flock but separate. A friendly giant that brings good things for his girls to eat.
One of the best things I learned from Shadrach’s article was to always offer treats to the rooster first so he can call his girls over to the wonderful tidbits that he “found” for them lol.
When humans bring treats and the hens all run away from him and to the humans they can (and I think, do) believe you’re attempting to steal their hens.

I keep only bantam roosters now. I absolutely love them and they’re much easier to handle than standard ones but some individuals can be aggressive. They get rehomed or become soup.

Back
Top Bottom