How to mix standard and bantams? HELP!

I, personally, don't think introducing 1 Silkie to 27 standard birds is a good idea. That's why I always encourage folks to learn about the breeds they're thinking of getting. Did you know most Silkies have a soft spot on their head, like a baby, under that crest? A well placed peck can cause them all sorts of problems (head tucking, somersaults, twitches, walking in circles, even death). If you'd had more than one it may have at least giving the opportunity to spread the pecking around a bit.
I'm not saying the introduction can't be done, but the only thing I can recommend would be to supervise VERY carefully and hope for the best.
Oh, and a standard rooster and a bantam hen can be a recipe for disaster depending on the guys personality. Even if he's a gentleman, he can still hurt her during breeding simply bc of the size difference. Good luck, I hope you figure it out...
Nikki

They all did WONDERFUL. They are one big happy flock. Thanks for the advice...
clap.gif
I just let 'em loose and they just acted as if she was a friend. They let her snuggle under them in the coop at night.
yesss.gif

I wouldn't introduce only 1 chicken. I have a flock of standard and some bantams and they all grew up together and usually get along but the standard sized rooster does pick on my bantams occasionally, they do stand up for each other but 1 chicken by itself isn't going to feel comfortable being introduced to a lot of older larger chickens.

Back
Top Bottom