1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HOW to move chickens to their coop *PIC*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hansolo, Mar 29, 2011.

1. hansolo

hansolo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    My chicks are going to be 7 weeks old and thinking about moving them out.
    Right now they live in our kitchen area in a brooder made of two plastic bins.
    During the day I take one plastic bin outside and they jump out and run around our backyard. Sometimes they'd play for a while, then gather in front of the French door of kitchen and "knock". In the evening, I call them by the kitchen French door, they jump into the plastic bin and go back to inside the kitchen.
    Now our coop is no where near our kitchen, but behind the house in the side yard. How do I teach them that is their home? I am afraid they are going to want to go back to our kitchen all the time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. hansolo

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    btw, about 2 weeks ago, the started roosting, sleeping on top of the middle of the two plastic bins.
    Also our coop is far from any electric outlet.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Once they have slept in the thier coop several night, they will know where home is. Good Luck!

4. hansolo

Mar 7, 2011
    Fremont, CA
    still asking...

5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Mine know where their coop is and know it is home... but that doesn't stop them from "knocking" on the sliding doors and asking to come in and visit. You have spoiled them... and they will NOT forget... enjoy.

D

6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

When we first put ours outside last year, what we did was put them in the coop and didn't let them free range for a couple of days so that they knew where "home" was. I think it only took about 2 or 3 days, and our ladies were about the same size as your chicks.

BTW, your babies are adorable! I love that awkward "teenage" stage. They're so much fun to watch at that age, and I love how they're knocking at the door to get your attention. Hehehe.

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Yep, lock them in the coop for a few days and then that should help! Feed them there... give them treats.. hopefully they'll figure it out.

8. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    I put the whole brooder in the coop (actually the run) for a few days, eventually when they get comfortable they hop out to explore their new home. But yours are probably associating the bins with home ,not so much the actual kitchen.So if there is room, I'd say move the bins to the coop and they will easily figure it out.

9. PHarris985

PHarris985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:They are so cute. Do they stay in the bin when they go back in the kitchen? Guess you'll have to put the bin in the coop.
    Patty

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Keep them in their new coop for a few days (either with or without the tub). Once you start letting them out of the new coop, sit back there with them for a bit, and give them their treats there. Shut them back inside their new coop each evening. They will quickly learn...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by