How to obtain the mix of breeds I want in small numbers..*Follow up ?*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MN Chicken, Jun 2, 2010.

1. MN Chicken

MN Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    I am only allowed to have 3-4 hens in our town. I have raised chicks before, and have narrowed down the breeds I like the best. I know it sounds crazy, but since we are only having hens, I would like (in a dream world [​IMG] ) to have one of each of some specific breeds/colors. The only problem, is that I cannot have roos under any condition, and I cannot have more than 4. I know a hatchery would give me my best bet, but I am nervous about shipping only 4 chicks. I have looked into eggs as well, but then we run the roo rick more so that sexed hatchery chicks. Do you think I should just try eggs, or hatchery chicks in small numbers? In case you are wondering (and don't laugh because I know this list is silly), but the 4 birds I want are:

1 Olive Egger (for egg color)
    1 BLRW...SLW is my 2nd choice (the feather colors are amazing!)
    1 Marans (for egg color)
    1 Orpington (because I had one that was the best and I fell in love)

Advice is appreciated!

**FOLLOW UP QUESTION***

A local lady is selling broody hens. Would a broody hen hatch eggs for me if we decided to go that route? She states they are horrible egg layers, but will hatch almost anything. I have a local guy who is selling eggs, and am wondering if using a broody hen may be easier. Any thoughts or suggestions about using a broody?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I would suggest getting 2 or 3 of each of your breeds and them selling the extras at 2-3 weeks of age. Unfortuantly, sometimes little ones don't make it and then you would have to start over with a different aged bird. Also, sexing chicks is only 90% correct.

I bought 12 chicks from HealthyChicksandMore.com last year and they all arrived healthy and I didn't have any problems with them.

3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    Depending on how far from a big city you live, My pet Chicken will ship as few as 3 chicks. I live right beside the middle of nowhere, my minimum order was 10 chicks. (I love them all [​IMG] )
    They let you mix and match what breeds you want too. I got a mix of Easter Eggers, Delawares, and Buff Orpingtons.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

4. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    See if anyone around you wants to go in on a chick order with you.

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    What part of MN are you in, MN Chicken? The reason I ask is because if you have an L & M Fleet Supply anywhere close, they carry chicks and will usually special order anything you want, even a small quantity, because they can come in with the rest of their big order.

6. isitnaptime

isitnaptime Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    I sent you an email, but there is a guy in Maple Lake/ Buffalo on Craigslist selling Blue Ameraucanas and Copper Black Marans. They are straight run though... Also a guy in Hudson, WI that sells Welsummers (nice dark brown egg, close to the Marans I think) same straight run you would have to get a few to try get a pullet. I ordered from Fleagles (sp?) feed store in Hastings MN, they order from Hoovers hatchery in Iowa (no Marans) but you can order pullets. I think the minimum order is 12, but they may add you on to someone elses order.

7. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    I sent you an email, but there is a guy in Maple Lake/ Buffalo on Craigslist selling Blue Ameraucanas and Copper Black Marans. They are straight run though... Also a guy in Hudson, WI that sells Welsummers (nice dark brown egg, close to the Marans I think) same straight run you would have to get a few to try get a pullet. I ordered from Fleagles (sp?) feed store in Hastings MN, they order from Hoovers hatchery in Iowa (no Marans) but you can order pullets. I think the minimum order is 12, but they may add you on to someone elses order.

What part of MN are you in, MN Chicken? The reason I ask is because if you have an L & M Fleet Supply anywhere close, they carry chicks and will usually special order anything you want, even a small quantity, because they can come in with the rest of their big order.

I live just north of St. Paul. I saw the chicks on craigslist, and was thinking about getting the marans from that guy. I have never heard of L and M fleet, so i doubt we have one near by. I usually go to Houle's in Lake Elmo/Stillwater, but they only do chicks in the early spring. I also don't care for straight run so much because when I have raised small flocks in the past, we had about 75% roos...the good old roo curse [​IMG] , but I understand sexing is not an exact science, and will have to just deal with little boys.

We need a month before getting chicks to finish our coop. I also got really nice chicks from a lady in Somerset, but all of her chicks are over 2 months old, and I wanted to get chicks around the same age.

Thank you for all of the great ideas!​

8. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have another thought, and would like feedback..

There is a local lady selling broody hens. Would a broody hen do a good job hatching eggs if we went that route? What would we have to keep in mind?

9. HappyTalons

HappyTalons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    We have about 3 Easter Egger pullets to give away soon (they are about 3-4 weeks old now), we could meet you halfway in Des Moines. We aren't sure what color of eggs they will lay just yet . . . but should be blue or green.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. MN Chicken

Mar 21, 2010
    Minnesota
    Quote:I appreciate the offer, but I have 2 small kiddos that would think of that drive as a form of torture [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by