How to open beak

MessyJo

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
I keep reading about folks giving their chickens oil, medicine, etc. and how you're supposed to put it in their mouth.

How do you open their beak and keep it open long enough to put stuff in?
Thanks!

I keep reading about folks giving their chickens oil, medicine, etc. and how you're supposed to put it in their mouth.

How do you open their beak and keep it open long enough to put stuff in?
Thanks!
I grab them lightly in my lap and hold them with love (otherwise they kill me off with their kicks🤣) slightly pull down the wattle and pour 1 drop at a time on the tounge starting area not inside the tounge (u will aspirate them if u pour the drop deep in beak) that's it

Cradle the bird in your forearm. Use your free hand to grab the preloaded syringe without needle.
Use your thumb and fingers on the bird you're cradling and firmly pull down on the wattles and her mouth will open.
Using your free hand, quickly shoot the liquid in the syringe in her mouth and at the same time release her wattles so she can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont immediately let go of the wattles, the bird can aspirate.
Do not administer more than 1/2ml at a time. It's best to practice it in this manner without actually giving the liquid until you get the hang of it.

First off, what are you giving your chickens oil/medicines for? Are you having issues? We may be able to give advice for any problems you may be having, resulting in having to give oils/medicines with a syringe.
Thanks for the responses!
I was just reading and preparing JIC. One of my ladies had a large squishy crop yesterday and was trying to adjust it frequently. She also spit up some stuff. This morning it seemed emptied, but seems to be big again already this morning. I was anticipating possibly having to give her oil.

Thanks for the responses!
I was just reading and preparing JIC. One of my ladies had a large squishy crop yesterday and was trying to adjust it frequently. She also spit up some stuff. This morning it seemed emptied, but seems to be big again already this morning. I was anticipating possibly having to give her oil.
In that case go for coconut oil cold in little pieces - it hardens when it is cold and if you get the all pure kind the chickens love it and will just gobble it up. Then it melts in their throat so it is real oil once it gets to the crop.

In that case go for coconut oil cold in little pieces - it hardens when it is cold and if you get the all pure kind the chickens love it and will just gobble it up. Then it melts in their throat so it is real oil once it gets to the crop.
Thanks again. I might make a separate post for this cause her crop filled up again and she started the readjusting again too. I have some coconut oil with crumbles in there, but she didn't seem interested. Making her an egg to give oil too. How long should it take for this to clear up?
I have her separated right now and give her crop massages periodically.

Thanks again. I might make a separate post for this cause her crop filled up again and she started the readjusting again too. I have some coconut oil with crumbles in there, but she didn't seem interested. Making her an egg to give oil too. How long should it take for this to clear up?
With Minnie it took most of a week with a least daily massages and oil. Now she is fine.

I would make a separate post, sounds like some type of crop issue. Good luck with your lady, I hope your able to get her in the med very soon. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom