Pics
EA35E11F-867E-423D-A931-06EDF3962E4B.jpeg
Here is a pic of the inside. Where should I add ventilation? What else!? I know the holes for ventilation need hardware cloth over them. Maybe one more roosting bar?

[QUOTE="BluebirdHomestead, post: 21851616, member: 551656Here is a pic of the inside.[/QUOTE]
I'll leave the ventilation question to those more knowledgeable. I do have a thought for you. Is there a door (other than the little one the chickens use to go in and out)? In a perfect world, that's a nice setup. But one thing I've learned in my short experience with chickens, is they don't live in perfect worlds. Especially when they first start laying. Perfectly good nest boxes, but I can see a chicken going to the far wall from the door, and in the corner opposite to pop door, and laying her first egg. So you're crawling through the coop on hands and knees (yuck!) Or trying to fish it out with a rake or something through the pop door. First rule of chickens. They are not logical. Expect the unexpected.

View attachment 1935875 Here is a pic of the inside. Where should I add ventilation? What else!? I know the holes for ventilation need hardware cloth over them. Maybe one more roosting bar?

What are the dimensions of the coop part?
It looks like a 4x8 but pics can be deceiving.

[QUOTE="BluebirdHomestead, post: 21851616, member: 551656Here is a pic of the inside.
I'll leave the ventilation question to those more knowledgeable. I do have a thought for you. Is there a door (other than the little one the chickens use to go in and out)? In a perfect world, that's a nice setup. But one thing I've learned in my short experience with chickens, is they don't live in perfect worlds. Especially when they first start laying. Perfectly good nest boxes, but I can see a chicken going to the far wall from the door, and in the corner opposite to pop door, and laying her first egg. So you're crawling through the coop on hands and knees (yuck!) Or trying to fish it out with a rake or something through the pop door. First rule of chickens. They are not logical. Expect the unexpected.[/QUOTE]

There is that little door into the run and then a giant door that is basically the whole side of the coop opens up like where I’m taking the picture from if that’s what you mean. The door situation isn’t ideal. I got a taste of that today as I crawled in to clean that back corner lol

Close! It’s 3x8 plus the best boxes.

That gives you roughly enough space for 6 chickens. I think you have enough roost space.

Folly made a good suggestion on making the existing vents better.

If at all possible making the other narrow end open too will give much better access.

What breed(s) of birds are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom