How to prepare for winter.......(seramas)...........

a little more information would be helpful. Where do you live how cold does it get etc etc. A bit more detail abuut your coop how many birds. They will need to stay dry and keep dirct air off them If your in Florida you dont have much to worry about.

I live in tennessee were it can get freezing i have 6 seramas can i put a regular house light in there to keep them warm and cover the coop with plastic?If so what is a safe way to keep it i would probalby want to get a red heat light to let them sleep?

You will not need a light for heat for adult birds in Tennessee. You will need to keep them dry somehow, it is much more important to have good ventilation and dry than it is to add heat to the coop. moist damp air is the worst. I think plastic is a bad idea unless you have some system for venting your coop. A picture would sure help

rooster brandon. :

I live in tennessee were it can get freezing i have 6 seramas can i put a regular house light in there to keep them warm and cover the coop with plastic?If so what is a safe way to keep it i would probalby want to get a red heat light to let them sleep?

what part of tennesse do u live in because i live in west tn and east tn can get a lot colder cuz of the rocky​

Quote:
That's certainly true for standard size chickens, but Seramas are are tiny bantams not known to be cold hardy. Some are so small they weigh less than a pound.

I have Serama crossbreeds and live in North Texas where we also sometimes get freezing weather. Last winter I brought my bantams into our attached garage on freezing nights and bedded them down in pine shavings in several big dog crates. The temperature in the garage stayed just above freezing. On the coldest nights (teens) I ran an oil filled radiator in the garage, too.

We had several days that stayed below freezing, and I cautiously let my flock out in their run and watched them carefully for distress. Nope. They all acted normally even in weather that cold. The run was tarped on three sides so they had no wind chill to contend with.

Be careful with a heat lamp in a small coop. We know someone with Seramas here last winter who had one of her chickens burn its comb on a heat lamp.

Are your birds the very tiny (A class) or the bigger ones?

Back
Top Bottom