Prepping for winter

Alyooo14

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2023
Here in Texas we are predicted to have an intense winter this year. If our power grid fails again I'm not sure how I will keep my chickens warm. I have the resources to keep them warm as long as I have electricity but does anyone have any methods they could share or tips that don't involve electricity?
I would just like to be prepared.
Thank you.

With a tight, clean coop with plenty of ventilation up high, there shouldn't be any need for supplemental heat for most breeds. Lots of bedding helps keep warmth in, but the main thing is to keep moisture out, which is why ventilation is so vitally important.
Ok thank you. My coop currently has a sand floor. So I should get some alternative bedding for winter?

What breeds do you have? My birds see deep negatives and aren't any worse for the wear. I'm sure they don't like fluctuations, but chickens as a whole deal with cold better than hot.
I have Rhode Island reds(5), leghorn(1), wyandottes(2), isa brown(1), 4 chicks that I'm not sure what they are 2 are black with black legs and the other two look similar to how my leghorn looked as a chick.

My hens do so much better in winter than heat. It can get to 23 below wind chill here. I do have pine bedding deep litter here that I add to in depth. Some tips.
Feed warm mash ( warm water and chicken feed mixed.) Some here feed warm oatmeal instead.
Check to make sure water is not frozen , some with electricity use heated dog bowls. Some just switch out warm waterers with frozen ones.
Can give them old fashioned hot water bottles if no power.
If it's bitter cold ( way below in wind chill) I force mine to stay in coop....and they hate me for it. :he

My hens do so much better in winter than heat. It can get to 23 below wind chill here. I do have pine bedding deep litter here that I add to in depth. Some tips.
Feed warm mash ( warm water and chicken feed mixed.) Some here feed warm oatmeal instead.
Check to make sure water is not frozen , some with electricity use heated dog bowls. Some just switch out warm waterers with frozen ones.
Can give them old fashioned hot water bottles if no power.
If it's bitter cold ( way below in wind chill) I force mine to stay in coop....and they hate me for it. :he
I feed oatmeal but also mash sometimes they love it.
Mine stay in the coop if its 10 degrees or under anyways.

Here in Texas we are predicted to have an intense winter this year. If our power grid fails again I'm not sure how I will keep my chickens warm. I have the resources to keep them warm as long as I have electricity but does anyone have any methods they could share or tips that don't involve electricity?
I would just like to be prepared.
Thank you.
I also live in Texas, and my ladies made it through the big freeze just fine with no help from me. I just made sure they had water and food and they managed themselves just fine. The heat is more dangerous to them than the cold

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom