How to prevent against cats

Riverbend Farms

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
California
This morning my hens got attacked by a cat. We think we may have let them out too early. We have a small backyard and live in a city so we cannot have anything like a livestock guardian dog. What would be best to ensure other cats don’t come to attack our hens? would another cat marking its territory help? Is there anything we can do?

Are these full grown hens? it's unusual for a house cat to mess with adults.
A dog, a secure run, there are spray you can get to keep cats off furniture, that might work

If you repeatedly have issues with the same cat or cats I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to humanely trap them with cat food in a Havahart, bring them to the local animal shelter, and maybe anonymously put up a flier or something explaining what happened to the cat so the owners can locate it (if they bother to do so). You could just be dealing with stray or feral cats too that don’t belong to anyone, in which case you’re doing them a favor. I’m not sure if another cat marking would help keep them away. I’m inclined to believe that it would have an adverse affect and draw in any unfixed toms.

This is what works for me. I don’t have a dog and none of the neighbors have one big enough to keep the outdoor cats away. Down the road somebody has an exploding population of unfixed farm cats that spill into other properties. It is a constant battle to keep them from killing wild birds and rabbits in the yard, and I’ve lost a few pigeons to them as well.

I think this is a decent compromise between a lethal solution, and anything else which doesn’t work on cats in the long term. Every cat you take off the streets is doing a favor to native animal populations, the cats themselves (lots of coyotes in urban CA) and the owners.
I’m plain sick and tired of people letting their cats go wherever they please when it would never fly with a dog (or really any other pet).

Every cat you take off the streets is doing a favor to native animal populations, the cats themselves (lots of coyotes in urban CA) and the owners.
I’m plain sick and tired of people letting their cats go wherever they please when it would never fly with a dog (or really any other pet).

^ this. In Australia apparently they have recently made it illegal for housecats to go outside. I wish and hope other places follow suit. I'm tired of the local cats using my yard as the local privy and brothel. I have considered have-a-heart traps, and a free trip to the shelter.

We are new chicken parents and there is, at the moment a small number of wandering cats in the neighborhood. One has just discovered our flock. My neighbor tells me that her chickens attack the cats. I'm hoping mine (2 Sussex and 2 cendrées) will do the same thing. As it is, I can always tell when the cat is around because the girls stand at attention and are clearly on high alert. I also go on high alert and step outside. The cat so far has bailed at that moment.

I hope you can find a solution to your cat issues. You are not alone.

I have read that water chases the cat away. You set up a sprinkler and watch for the cat, then turn on the water at just the right time. Might be able to use a motion sensor so it turns on when the cat approaches your fence.

Back
Top Bottom