How to prevent an aggressive cockerel

I have six cockerels, 4 of whom are BLRWs whose breed is known to be non-aggressive (only 1 will stay).
This thread came at the perfect time for me, since one of the boys has started biting my hand when it comes near. It happened once a few days ago, and again today. It shocked me, and I reacted by backhanding him in the chest, pushing him backward about 6inches into the chicken-wire wall. I also stood up and physically intimidated him (and the rest of the flock) away from me. They all reacted when I pushed the cockerel back with my hand, so I guess they were watching? I don't want to incite fear in everyone, but they do need to recognize that is not going to be tolerated.

I always kneel or sit down on their level with them and my hands are in close proximity if I'm spreading feed or whatever. No one has ever charged or bitten me (before this). I am wondering if the time to sit with them is coming to an end, since they are getting closer to maturity now (3.5 months old).
I have not dealt with roosters before so this is all new to me, so much great information has been posted about roosters - thank you!

When I walked next him today he flapped and walked away. Is that good?
Hi, I´ve just read throught this thread out of curiosity. I wouldn´t think you have anything to worry about with this bird. At least, I wouldn´t. It seems to me that if you´re frightened of the bird because of what he might do, it´d be better to let him go, as someone already advised. How did you stop him mating? Did you physically lift him off the hen, or just walk over there to him? If you just walked over and he got off, totally no problems. He got out of your way. Great. But if you´re the least bit afraid of him, it´s best to forget cock-birds.
I´ve had bantams, indians, plymouth rocks, delawares and brahmas, and never had one cock prove difficult to deal with ever. I think it may be because I don´t expect trouble that I don´t get it. Body language, etc. His giving you 'the eye' is only him weighing you up. If he sees fear or subjection he´ll try it on, unless he´s an extremely placid roo, which of course, some are. I hope you can enjoy him, but if in doubt...go without. You want to enjoy your hens, after all.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have six cockerels, 4 of whom are BLRWs whose breed is known to be non-aggressive (only 1 will stay).
This thread came at the perfect time for me, since one of the boys has started biting my hand when it comes near. It happened once a few days ago, and again today. It shocked me, and I reacted by backhanding him in the chest, pushing him backward about 6inches into the chicken-wire wall. I also stood up and physically intimidated him (and the rest of the flock) away from me. They all reacted when I pushed the cockerel back with my hand, so I guess they were watching? I don't want to incite fear in everyone, but they do need to recognize that is not going to be tolerated.

I always kneel or sit down on their level with them and my hands are in close proximity if I'm spreading feed or whatever. No one has ever charged or bitten me (before this). I am wondering if the time to sit with them is coming to an end, since they are getting closer to maturity now (3.5 months old).
I have not dealt with roosters before so this is all new to me, so much great information has been posted about roosters - thank you!

I just purchased ( I seriously lost count but I think) 25 chicks from the feed store, Barred Rocks, Leghorns, Marans and Buff Orpingtons..Although there is a 90% chance these are girls I can already tell I think one of the BO's is a boy (yeah for me!) they are in the brooder box out on our back porch and twice a day I go to refill there water and feed, this morning the BO that I think is the roo flew out of the clutch and at my hand..surprised me, I have never seen aggression this early on and am not convinced it wasn't an accident (yeah right eh) This little one who is at the most 3 weeks old will be watched pretty close..
he.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies. He is still doing fine and I'm starting to regain my confidence with them. The other day it was horrible weather and he came running up from the shed alone (none of the girls knew I was hear and were in the shed) and I just walked past him and he followed me down and had the perfect opportunity to get me, but he didn't. I even kept my back turned the full way! I have got confident enough with him to give him a name. He is called George. Hopefully he will stay this way! I allow him to mate the girls now, but I pretend that I didn't see.
1959429_10200579725455254_1837570531_n.jpg

1899916_10200579911299900_814867959_n.jpg

Hi, I´ve just read throught this thread out of curiosity. I wouldn´t think you have anything to worry about with this bird. At least, I wouldn´t. It seems to me that if you´re frightened of the bird because of what he might do, it´d be better to let him go, as someone already advised. How did you stop him mating? Did you physically lift him off the hen, or just walk over there to him? If you just walked over and he got off, totally no problems. He got out of your way. Great. But if you´re the least bit afraid of him, it´s best to forget cock-birds.
I´ve had bantams, indians, plymouth rocks, delawares and brahmas, and never had one cock prove difficult to deal with ever. I think it may be because I don´t expect trouble that I don´t get it. Body language, etc. His giving you 'the eye' is only him weighing you up. If he sees fear or subjection he´ll try it on, unless he´s an extremely placid roo, which of course, some are. I hope you can enjoy him, but if in doubt...go without. You want to enjoy your hens, after all.
big_smile.png
First time, he just jumped off. Second time, he required a small nudge by my foot!

First time, he just jumped off. Second time, he required a small nudge by my foot!
Well that´s no big deal. Just be cool, go where you want, do what you want...also, if his breed is supposed to be gentle, trust that. There´s always a chance, of course, that it cd be aggressive, but it´s a slim one. and at the moment he doesn´t seem to be aggressive...Just be assertive and confident, but if you´re nervous of him, it´ll show in your body language, so it´d be better for you to find him another home.

Thanks everyone for your replies. He is still doing fine and I'm starting to regain my confidence with them. The other day it was horrible weather and he came running up from the shed alone (none of the girls knew I was hear and were in the shed) and I just walked past him and he followed me down and had the perfect opportunity to get me, but he didn't. I even kept my back turned the full way! I have got confident enough with him to give him a name. He is called George. Hopefully he will stay this way! I allow him to mate the girls now, but I pretend that I didn't see.

I enjoyed your pics, by the way. I loved to see the grasses. (We used to live near water meadows in the south of England.) Nice cock, too. He looks fine. His stance in these pics isn´t at all aggressive.

I'm so glad George is working out for you. You have a beautiful flock!

An earlier thread about aggression in roosters advised against crouching down to feed them by hand, and that's what I'd been doing since my two year old light Sussex rooster began nipping and flapping at me. I think I might have set him off two weeks ago by catching and dusting all his ladies. So I changed my approach. Came into the coop like he was the lowly shop steward and I was the "suit" and for three days now his behaviour has been fine. The earlier thread advised confidence, vigilance, consistency, which I might stencil on the coop walls!

Back
Top Bottom