How to prevent an aggressive cockerel

I'm just scared incase his spurs/claws go through my jeans! I'm just going to have to risk it because at the minute I dread going to the hens because I'm that worried that he might attack me. If he passes the test of not attacking me when following me to the feed pen with my back turned then I will feel a lot more comfortable being around him!

Get your self a good thick pair of work pants like carhartts or something like them. It will boost your confidence knowing your legs are protected :).

We go out at night a few times a year and clip spurs...Its super easy, just like clipping a fingernail...

Be aware, animals can sense fear, I am a firm believer in being coop master.. After the disaster with the first rooster I did a lot of reading before getting another many years later.. Personally I am of the belief that if they attack they are dinner , no second chances.. I think the younger rooster senses this
lau.gif

As I said before, I'm only on my first rooster, but I think that dominance is something that readily transcends species.

I've dealt with male cats, dogs, cockatiels, budgerigars (don't laugh -- all budgies believe that they are eagles), and humans. My oldest son's friends and my husband's friends say I keep them in line with the awesome power of the MOM look and the MOM finger.
th.gif

Marion was hatched in mid-June so he's about 8 months and though Brahmas are supposed to mature late he was bigger and more mature than any of the red boys at the same age so he can't be too far behind on his roostering. So far he's respecting the fact that I don't intend to be messed with. I make the hens squat with him standing just outside my reach and he hasn't made an aggressive move over it yet.

New boy was ok today. I was in a bad mood so I wasn't really nervous due to the fact I was in a mood. He came to the gate and looked a but odd but I just walked straight past him and him and the girls followed. I then went in the feed shed and got some food. Some of it fell on the floor, so I walked past them again and him and a few girls went in to eat. I put the feed out and as I was walking around collecting eggs, when ever I came across him, he would move. I was then cleaning the shed out with my back turned and I was peaking through the inside of my arm to see what he was doing. He was standing at the gate staring at me for 20 secs or so and then turned around and walked off. He then also didnt react when I took the waterer off him (it was nearly empty so I was refilling it). So, so far so good!
1798443_10200539931940441_938765566_n.jpg

1609855_10200539932660459_1609214360_n.jpg

1656051_10200539933340476_1018814440_n.jpg

1499621_10200539933660484_680914102_n.jpg

Nice looking Roo, but he is definitely he giving you the Eye!

My rooster was badly bullied by 6 other cockerels before I got him. The best thing to do is just leave him be and don't force him. It took me seven months to get it to were he would timidly eat out of my hand. I would just interact with my hens while he stood a good ways off and watched. I pick him up and hold him about two times a week (this is while he is in the coop so I don't have to chase him), never interrupted him while he is doing his duty, NO directly walking toward him just always keep him in the corner of my eye and go about my business. He is a very sweet guy and has never once come after me, he is also very good to his girls as well :)
My old boy was really good. I never walked in his path because he never showed any dominance to me. If I walked towards him and he was standing there I would just walk around him because I trusted him that much.

People are telling me to get rid of him because it takes him 2 years too mature so he will be too big for my girls apparently :/

When I walked next him today he flapped and walked away. Is that good?

Some cockerel's are just aggressive, it has nothing to do with their size.
My most aggressive one was a bantam Old English. A beautiful, but highly protective and combative rooster.
My neighbor wouldn't go near him and was shocked to see me holding and petting him. I would turn him over and he would close
his eyes. The most gentle guy when held. Funny thing though, when I put him on the ground again he would attack my shoes. He died a heroic death by trying to attack a hawk that
had targeted one of my hens. The hen survived. I also have a large 1/2 cochin, 1/2 Leghorn Rooster that is extremely gentle. He was 3X the size of my little mussolini, and he has never showed any aggression toward me, even greets me and takes food from my hand just to share with the hens.
Since your rooster walks away from you, I think you have nothing to worry about! All rooster try to mount the hens or they wouldn't be roosters. For now, your rooster sounds like a real keeper!

My BR Roo attacked/spurred me a few months ago. I was ready to give him away to anyone who wanted him but my husband said we need to catch him and hold him in front of the hens and that should stop the attacks.
He wasn't happy but we did hold him & walk around with him in front of his hens. When I put him down he ran away from me. After that he didn't think about attacking me again. He would eventually walk next to me or run to me w/the hens when they seen I had scratch for them.
He was a pleasure to have around. He really does protect the hens when they free range, he finds them bugs & treats too!

These last few days he looks & acts like he is going to attack me again. He actually did run up to me me and peck my leg, not hard but enough to worry me.
I don't know why, everything was fine for a long time & I don't think anything has changed except the weather is getting warmer.

I will try to walk with confidence and ignore him and hopefully he leaves me alone.
I hate to give him away because he looks after the hens but I will not live in fear of one of my animals.
th.gif

We acquired a rooster with a few hens about a year and a half ago. Usually Elvis is ok but you can tell when he gets "that look" in his eye. We keep big sticks next to each gate and carry them if he's looking cranky. That is usually enough to deter him but he has caught me in the shin once and I still have the scar.

As far as making your rooster aggressive. Our little guy, Boris, was a hatchling when we got him. He has always been neurotic and was not mistreated at all and he became a right brat when he hit chicken puberty. He tries to attack us every day. Fortunately he's not big and has very short spurs but he does pack a punch. The stick does not always deter him and occasionally he flies into my boot or the feeder which have been raised in self defense. I would like to strangle him some days or use him as fox bait but he protects the girls sort-of (he's lost two on his watch recently to foxes).

At least we know that other people that don't belong in the pasture will stay out. I don't know how to calm him down. He gets to mate as much as he likes and has no competition. I don't try to handle him unless I need to examine him. I tried forcing love on him when he's attacked me before and I think the only reason he stayed away for a while after that is because he hates being held.

I agree about the thick coveralls. With insulated overalls over your jeans and thick muck boots, you are good to go. Attack away, little stinker! Seriously, I will try the show no fear policy. It's hard to do sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom