How to put a chicken down..

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahaha OMG!!! He is soooo beyond cute!! I am going to do that!! HOw old was he when you got him? Sorry if you already said that. I dont have tons of time except for Saturday-Monday when I am off of work but man I wish I did!!! Maybe I could get a pair and let them be together when I am working? LOL

Thanks for sharing!!

lol! He was 2 weeks old when I got him. 2 may work. I had two at one point but they bonded to eachother instead of me. Part of it was my fault tho because I was busy at the time and not spending nearly as much time with them as I was peanut. They're fine by themselves for awhile as long as they have plenty of stuffed animals to snuggle with. Some people put a clock in the cage too for some noise. There were days that I went into work and he did just fine :) Pretty sure he just slepped the whole time with his teddy.

But theres nothing funner than the look on peoples faces when they come over and a chicken in a diaper hops off your couch to go say hi to them
big_smile.png

I could never do it, so I had my husband do it with a very sharp hatchet. My best friends husband offered if we could not because of the attachment to them. My husband said the sharp hatchet was instantaneous, but she was very sick and not mobil. So so sorry for your loss.

Take her to the vet, they can administer euthenasia. Its quick, and easy. Will cost ya maybe 10 bucks. Then you can take her home and bury her. If you leave her there at the vets for them to take care of the carcass they will charge you more. Not too up to date on prices for euthenizing an animal. But We had to put our dog down and it was only $20. Hope this helps!!

Quote:
Wow, where do you live?! I just put my australorp down and it cost $80! Also, I think the next time we have to put one of our girls to sleep, I'll let my boyfriend break the neck. (He wanted to do this last time, but I wouldn't let him). Neck-breaking sounds so gruesome and harsh (and I could never do it myself), but after after all was said and done with my australorp I think neck-breaking is less traumatic than the stress associated with a car ride and a trip to the vet.

Original poster, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom