How to put my pet ducks on a diet

He's really solid and as heavy as the dog 9+kg's . Is that normal ? I just love them so much and want to do my best by them . You lovely people helped me deliver them in an emergency ( incubator eggs) in the early hours over a year ago and all was well until another person who has ducks said he was chunky

Duck and a drake . I buy organic pellets from my local animal store ( they're called layers pellets)

First off Drakes shouldn't be eating layer pellets it's way too much calcium and can harm their kidneys. They do look larger than mine through the body but pics can be deceiving too.
Sounds like they are getting plenty of exercise which they need they are so active. Since we're heading into winter I think I'd just leave them alone if your going to be in a cold climate. Stop feeding layer and get an all flock feed and just keep oyster shell out for your female.

An all flock feed ? Should I mix it with the layers to get them used to it gradually rather than just change feed straight away . What is in an all flock feed ? Sorry for all the questions . I did so much research before they hatched and went with the advice I was given and I read !

What part of the world are you in? An All Flock feed means it is formulated for all poultry. If you can't find it see if you can find a grower or finisher. If you have a lot of layer left mix it till gone half and half that will cut down on the calcium and help you use up what's left. Questions we welcome that is the only way we learn.

I'm in the UK and I've been googling like crazy but can't find anything similar ( Naturewise is the USA one ) . I've seen finisher in my pet store so I know I can get my hands on that . So leaving food down all the time is the correct thing to do , but change the type they have ? I'll pop down in the morning and start the changeover . Thanks so much x

Back
Top Bottom