How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
So I've seen a lot of threads where people are asking for help with already adult, aggressive roosters. I have an approximately 7 1/2 week cockerel, and I really want him to turn out well-behaved. So, rather than wait till he's aggressive, is there a way to keep him from being aggressive ever in the first place? Thanks.
Here's my advice.
Ignore any posters who say they won't tolerate an aggressive rooster, or advice you to kill and eat him. They obviously don't have an answer to your question and don't understand roosters.
Also ignore those who obviously have very little contact with their roosters, or hang them by their feet, or attack them with sticks.
Read @BantyChooks article on roosters. It's the best article on the subject here on BYC.
Understand that as far as a rooster is concerned the hens are his and not yours. Just understanding this will help you to understand why your rooster behaves as he does.
Try to learn how a rooster attracts hens and this will help you avoid being seen as competition and that will help reduce any aggression on his part.
Remember that while you may be able to intimidate a rooster and make him stay away through fear, it isn't the best way to form a good relationship with any animal.
You can pick your rooster up. I've done it a lot with the roosters here. The disadvantage is they are likely to see you as a flock member and behave accordingly, so you will get treated as they would another hen or rival rooster. This means a cockerel in particular will try to mate with you and some people see this as aggressive behavior.
If you are viewed as a flock member then you will get pecked; it's what they do to each other. Not all pecks are signs of aggression.
Be aware that by handling the rooster hens he may beleive you are mating his hens and this understandably can produce aggressive behavior. In such cases give him the food and let him call his hens to eat.
I really do wish you luck and commend your search for advice before any problems arise.
:)

Do you mean to say that there aren’t the occasional just rotten, aggressive individuals? I’ve treated my cockerels the same to 6 months of age, and have seen a wide variety of behaviors and attitudes amongst them, towards me, and towards each other and the pullets.

I’m not disagreeing that the way a keeper behaves around them is not probably the biggest factor in “aggressive” roosters, but I do also think there’s some room for predisposition to certain behaviors and more aggressive tendencies. Just as some roosters are not very good with alerting to threats, others are a little overzealous and see everything as a personal affront to be destroyed. One of my guys actually started posturing and made to attack my bull...
Some are more difficult than others. I've had a couple of horrors here. I'm prepared to make allowances and put in the work necessary to have a good relationship with the animals here, not just the chickens. Some people are not prepared to do this which I understand but wish wasn't the case.
Mostly I see expectation problems when it comes to roosters. Many cockerels are real sweethearts and then they hit the hormone stage and all that cuddly stuff goes West. If you can get past this and get past the "I want him to behave the way I think he should" part then you're in with a shout.
Sure they are all different to a greater or lesser extent, but so are the hens and all the other creatures. What I find difficult in these threads is the poor roosters don't get the same consideration regarding behavior as do the hens and this is just because of the natural divide that nature has set, hens lay eggs while roosters don't.
I've had more problems with broody hens or mother with chicks than I have with any rooster and worse resulting injuries. The 'hen' is allowed to be hormonal and everyone understands (more or less) when a hen attacks you because she thinks your going to harm her chicks or take her eggs.
The rooster is only doing his job much like the hen but he doesn't get cut the same slack.

Some are more difficult than others. I've had a couple of horrors here. I'm prepared to make allowances and put in the work necessary to have a good relationship with the animals here, not just the chickens. Some people are not prepared to do this which I understand but wish wasn't the case.
Mostly I see expectation problems when it comes to roosters. Many cockerels are real sweethearts and then they hit the hormone stage and all that cuddly stuff goes West. If you can get past this and get past the "I want him to behave the way I think he should" part then you're in with a shout.
Sure they are all different to a greater or lesser extent, but so are the hens and all the other creatures. What I find difficult in these threads is the poor roosters don't get the same consideration regarding behavior as do the hens and this is just because of the natural divide that nature has set, hens lay eggs while roosters don't.
I've had more problems with broody hens or mother with chicks than I have with any rooster and worse resulting injuries. The 'hen' is allowed to be hormonal and everyone understands (more or less) when a hen attacks you because she thinks your going to harm her chicks or take her eggs.
The rooster is only doing his job much like the hen but he doesn't get cut the same slack.
It’s you’re audience. I completely agree.

It is true that I am a kid. I also have a younger sibling. I didn't want this rooster, he was supposed to be a hen. Now that I have one though, I want to raise him properly so that I can avoid any possible harm to myself or my family. I will follow your advice and not cuddle him anymore, teach him to respect me. If he doesn't, into the stew pot he goes.
It sounds to me like you're intelligent and sensitive - and your post was an interesting question, well-phrased, and very interesting to me. (I don't have a flock yet so I can't contribute anything but keen interest!) Take what everyone says as ingredients in a stew. It takes a lot of condiments to have that perfect mix of flavors...the one that works best for YOU. Choose what feels right to you as you go along - experimenting with your birds. Yes, some stews can get a little peppery - people misread the intent or emotions behind texted words, and then off we go. Someone gets miffed and loses a bit of temper and it's such a good example of how computer interactions can go south.
Congratulations on a thoughtful, well-phrased communication and please keep us posted on how it works out for you. I'm very interested to see how you put it all together and how your rooster works out! :goodpost:

:goodpost:
I agree. I have yet to have an aggressive broody hen, but I've seen enough from others' flocks that I would absolutely rate them as more dangerous to personal safety than roosters.

:goodpost:
I agree. I have yet to have an aggressive broody hen, but I've seen enough from others' flocks that I would absolutely rate them as more dangerous to personal safety than roosters.
Other than an occasional warning peck, I have never been attacked by a broody hen either. And yes - I am more willing to accept that behavior than I am from a rooster that wants to sneak up behind me or run at me and attack - especially when I'm just feeding or watering them. I don't raise my roosters to fear me - just respect my space, and they do. As I stated earlier, my rooster is also comfortable to come stand next to me and eat or drink while I'm in the coop.

Other than an occasional warning peck, I have never been attacked by a broody hen either. And yes - I am more willing to accept that behavior than I am from a rooster that wants to sneak up behind me or run at me and attack - especially when I'm just feeding or watering them. I don't raise my roosters to fear me - just respect my space, and they do. As I stated earlier, my rooster is also comfortable to come stand next to me and eat or drink while I'm in the coop.
My hens' default mode is face flogger and chase you at least 50 feet. They have to be worked with to change that.

Back
Top Bottom