How to RAISE a good rooster.

Pics
Is it okay if he comes up to me while I'm feeding the chickens? Or should I pick him up if he does that.
I let my roosters come forward but the should stay back a bit. I toss my treats so I don't set up bad habits. I like at least 3 feet away. Any closer and he's invading your space. Than I might grab him, and give him a good looking over before releasing him. He should start to stay out of reach.

My chickens are kept as pets that also lay eggs for eating, so my opinions maybe different than others. I handle and pick up all my chickens, even roosters, because I want them to be friendly and not cower or run from me. In the evenings while they are on their roost I go into the coop and rub their feet and heads before closing up for the night. When they are in the nesting boxes I rub their ears. I stroke their back when they eat from my hand. I'm very "bothersome" to my chickens. I try to make it a point that I'm annoying but I'm not threatening haha

I've had three roosters since I've been raising chickens, all treated the same as above. One was perfect and courteous to me and my family, he was my favorite (Japanese Bantam). Second rooster is a jerk only to my husband, but I am the primary caretaker of the chickens and my husband does not do the "bothering" that I do. I'm rehoming him b/c I consider him aggressive (he's also not gentle with my hens) (Buff Orpington). My first rooster was indifferent to me and my family, never paid anyone any attention but was great to the hens and a good predator watch. He didn't let me pick him up or pet him (Australorp mix).

Honestly it all depends on their individual personality. You should learn chicken body language to help understand what your roo is thinking or doing.

I've used this rescue page before when dealing with my orpington:
http://chickenrunrescue.org/filter/Care-and-Rehabilitation/Rooster-Behavior

I've had more problems with broody hens or mother with chicks than I have with any rooster and worse resulting injuries. The 'hen' is allowed to be hormonal and everyone understands (more or less) when a hen attacks you because she thinks your going to harm her chicks or take her eggs.
The rooster is only doing his job much like the hen but he doesn't get cut the same slack.

This is so true and I’ve never thought about it quite this way. However, this double standard exists everywhere and kind of stinks when it comes to the human species. The women get the raw end of the deal there. IMHO

I do hate that the male chicken gets the short end of the stick, but I’m in the boat with others not keeping a rooster that’s aggressive.

Ain’t nobody got time for that!” Or enough bandaids and neosporin. ;)

This is so true and I’ve never thought about it quite this way. However, this double standard exists everywhere and kind of stinks when it comes to the human species. The women get the raw end of the deal there. IMHO

I do hate that the male chicken gets the short end of the stick, but I’m in the boat with others not keeping a rooster that’s aggressive.

Ain’t nobody got time for that!” Or enough bandaids and neosporin. ;)
If only it was just the short end of the stick instead of dead.;)

meyad.PNG
The rooster I kept is the one to the left, "Kendall" He is so mellow, never pecked me, was the slowest growing of all the roosters I had. 15-16 weeks old has not crowed yet- has not pecked me. I can hold him everytime I see him. He is not breeding with the ladies yet, but he seems sweet. BO are known to just be great chickens not mean. I am looking forward to seeing how he progresses.

If only it was just the short end of the stick instead of dead.;)
Well, this is true too! However, I would much rather a rooster/cockerel be slaughtered humanely for being aggressive than to see him being used in cockfighting! Want to get my feathers ruffled? That’ll do it! Every time! No exception! No excuse! :mad:Shall I post what needs to be done to anyone caught doing this? Nah, but they’d be begging to go to the roughest prison instead! ;) Guaranteed!

View attachment 1749603 The rooster I kept is the one to the left, "Kendall" He is so mellow, never pecked me, was the slowest growing of all the roosters I had. 15-16 weeks old has not crowed yet- has not pecked me. I can hold him everytime I see him. He is not breeding with the ladies yet, but he seems sweet. BO are known to just be great chickens not mean. I am looking forward to seeing how he progresses.
I had a BO that went rogue, but in his defense I think it was me. That’s why I’m so excited to get started on the suggestions made in @BantyChooks article.

Back
Top Bottom