How To Raise A Rooster

Thanks for sharing that, if weather holds out I'm going to take the girls out today. In a perfect world, Bill will realize what's going on, let me catch him so he can join them. Haha. In MY world, he'll be too scared stay behind feel all left out, pace and worry. I've read things like that about roosters too, kind of a "a day late and a dollar short". As I mentioned my roo was unplanned. If it turns out he needs separate living quarters he'll have to be re-homed. We just don't have the $$ for another coop. I'm not planning to raise chickens. I'll post later how things are going today.

Thanks for sharing that, if weather holds out I'm going to take the girls out today. In a perfect world, Bill will realize what's going on, let me catch him so he can join them. Haha. In MY world, he'll be too scared stay behind feel all left out, pace and worry. I've read things like that about roosters too, kind of a "a day late and a dollar short". As I mentioned my roo was unplanned. If it turns out he needs separate living quarters he'll have to be re-homed. We just don't have the $$ for another coop. I'm not planning to raise chickens. I'll post later how things are going today.
Wait I am confused-you are not planning to raise them? You mean breed them? yeah coops are pricey even when done thrifty. If I had free wood then it would be better

I guess I expressed myself wrong. I wasn't planning to raise hatched chicks that's why I bought 4 pullets. As mentioned one turned out not to be a pullet. Now I'm left with the task of properly handling a rooster. That's why the questions.

oh gotcha. Well if you absolutely do not want babies hatching at all ever-I would get rid of the roo and not chance it. just my opinion. Of course as long as you get eggs everyday and don't let them go broody then you wont have the chicks either I guess

My Rooster is still not crowing. He is growing tail feathers and making weird sounds. (different then the hens). I have grown to like him and we seem to get along. I have had him for a month and a half. His spur buds have widened and he is getting colorful tail feathers and neck mane. :)

My Rooster is still not crowing. He is growing tail feathers and making weird sounds. (different then the hens). I have grown to like him and we seem to get along. I have had him for a month and a half. His spur buds have widened and he is getting colorful tail feathers and neck mane.
smile.png
has he tried to practice?

How old is he? My hubby told me that yesterday at 4:45am he heard our rooster, Bill crowing. It's still dark out at 4:45. I missed it, already left for work. He stayed in the roost house but still crowed. Funny. He's 6 months old. I'm still debating on wether it would be better for him to go to a farm with more hens. He's still not showing signs of aggression though and I'm attached to him. Going to start asking around locally.

I keep having nightmares about roosters. Last nights was about them crowing at like 4 am!!! The other night it was about me accidently grabbing the head off a rooster. UGH I don't even know how many I have!!!!! I think that's why I am having the nightmares!

Hi all just having a few rooster issues so I'm pleased to find this thread :) I have a young 5 month d silver laced orpington rooster. He's such a handsome bird and he crows so well. He's fearful and friendly with all humans and takes a good few pecks from the set hens, but I have 2 broodies that have just returned to the flick with their chicks and he's intent on killing one of them! She's at the bottom of the pecking order and is also harassed by the head hen but he's not pecking her he's going for her throat! Not sure what to do!? Or why he would go for just one hen like this? thanks for any help
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom