How To Raise A Rooster

I hope you mean 4 toes.

lau.gif
YES. HAHA that would be a mutated chicken for sure!!!!
ep.gif

I think it must depend on the breed, too. I have Brahmas, huge ones. My main rooster is almost 17 pounds. He has never tried to hurt a person and is very happy to come up and eat out of my hand. The lesser roosters also keep a respectful distance, but are easy to catch and never have bitten me. I also raised a dark Brahma boy to adulthood that was like a puppy dog, always in my lap and wanting to be petted. I had to give him up because he wasn't aggressive enough and was picked on by the others. Now I have another young one who prefers being with me to any of his siblings.

Our first rooster was an unknown breed bantam. We were afraid to go into the coop with him - he was a mean little son of a gun! We were relieved to learn that they weren't all like him!

I think it must depend on the breed, too. I have Brahmas, huge ones. My main rooster is almost 17 pounds. He has never tried to hurt a person and is very happy to come up and eat out of my hand. The lesser roosters also keep a respectful distance, but are easy to catch and never have bitten me. I also raised a dark Brahma boy to adulthood that was like a puppy dog, always in my lap and wanting to be petted. I had to give him up because he wasn't aggressive enough and was picked on by the others. Now I have another young one who prefers being with me to any of his siblings.

Our first rooster was an unknown breed bantam. We were afraid to go into the coop with him - he was a mean little son of a gun! We were relieved to learn that they weren't all like him!

Wow on the size of him. The largest ever recorded was 18 pounds. Are you sure he is 17 pounds?

They usually look much bigger than they are.

Wow on the size of him. The largest ever recorded was 18 pounds. Are you sure he is 17 pounds?

They usually look much bigger than they are.

We weighed him last year. He was 16.4 pounds then. He is a big Brahma. By the way, his latest son is taller than him already, and is less than a year old! Our "normal" Brahma roosters weigh around 14 pounds.

King Samson

Prince Marco

Your King George is a handsome fellow. Its nice to hear about friendly roosters. I'm raising a RIR roo. He was supposed to be a she but, surprise! I don't want to give him up. I started out thinking I would but I don't have an ordinance preventing me from keeping him. I'm so hoping he does not become aggressive. If I can't go in their enclosure to tend to things because of harm from him he'll have to go. :-(. The good news is he's not aggressive now.

Your King George is a handsome fellow. Its nice to hear about friendly roosters. I'm raising a RIR roo. He was supposed to be a she but, surprise! I don't want to give him up. I started out thinking I would but I don't have an ordinance preventing me from keeping him. I'm so hoping he does not become aggressive. If I can't go in their enclosure to tend to things because of harm from him he'll have to go. :-(. The good news is he's not aggressive now.

Just keep telling him he will be dinner if he is not nice LOL. We do have a roo ordinance but everyone ignores it. I hear roosters out there-at least 2. The good thing about living in an unincorporated area is that people don't usually care about noise as long as its not loud city noise
lau.gif
I am in the same situation. My favorite is most likely a roo and although I originally told hubby we wouldn't keep one-I don't want to let him go. LOL I convinced hubby how great it would be to have a roo for breeding so we will never have to buy chicken meat from the store and so I can raise my future egg layers from home. Basically I tripled my duties just so I can keep him-he better NOT be mean!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom