How To Raise A Rooster

Well, my little Texas town of Liverpool has train tracks going through it. If folks can live along the tracks and listen to the train blow the horn, they can surely put up with a rooster. But my Wild Bill hasn't crowed yet. I'd like to hear him crow. I have just 4 peeps. They can't free range for several safety reasons, and because I live right behing our city hall/PD station. Closer than a stone's throw. They have a cattle panel whoop run. I have to carry them to it. Later, when hubby forgets all the work he's done I want to extend the run enclosure and make a chicken tunnel in the yard somewhere. But, that's why my roo must remain friendly, I gotta carry him too and fro.

Well, my little Texas town of Liverpool has train tracks going through it. If folks can live along the tracks and listen to the train blow the horn, they can surely put up with a rooster. But my Wild Bill hasn't crowed yet. I'd like to hear him crow. I have just 4 peeps. They can't free range for several safety reasons, and because I live right behing our city hall/PD station. Closer than a stone's throw. They have a cattle panel whoop run. I have to carry them to it. Later, when hubby forgets all the work he's done I want to extend the run enclosure and make a chicken tunnel in the yard somewhere. But, that's why my roo must remain friendly, I gotta carry him too and fro.
HEHE the things we make them do
big_smile.png
. Maybe you can train the roo to crow only when a train is going by! That would be great but you would probably have to set the example-just make sure no one is around or people might call you the crazy lady that crows at the train
lau.gif

this is my lemon pekin roo, I have had him since he was 2 weeks old, he is a sweet boy, he runs away from me all the time and I have never handled him as, I got a lavender pekin a few weeks before I got him, and when I picked him up I knew he was different, he is my only roo, he has a leg problem occasionally and that is the only time he allows me to touch him, although he does crow constantly, he is only about 18 weeks old so still waiting to see how he becomes when he is fully grown

My roo is approaching 19 weeks. I haven't witnessed a crow. (Arrggg is his crower broke???). He's sure getting pretty though.

Well I hope Snowy stays as nice as your King George who is gorgeous btw, and so is Blue!! All others gorgeous as well:)

I've got a young EE, who I 'thought" was a pullet, but people are telling me she is a he to!!:( I'm hoping not, not sure two roos will be a good thing here, but time will tell I guess:)

Diane

I thought I would share my bit of info when I have raised roosters. Now when I found out I had a rooster it was to late and I already handled him everyday of his life. I still continued to handle him ignoring from what I read not to handle them. When he (actually they) let out there first crow I respected that for them, but if they ever walked around me, got in my way, mounted a hen in front of me, or crowed in front of me I should them who's the boss. Though I was against kicking them, but I read some where if you held them down that asserted your dominance but you have to hold them down until they stay there when you take your hand off there back. I have used this method for three roosters and none have ever attacked and will come up to me. I will sometimes challenge them by walking up to them to make sure they weren't rebellious. Yesterday gave me a good example. I walked to one of my rooster and he excepted the challenge. After a few seconds he quickly decided it wasn't a good idea and crouched down into the position I put them in when I asserted my dominance. I hoped my little bit of knowledge can help you :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom