How To Raise A Rooster

nov last year i had 7 roos running with 30 hens all was good until my rir had his full moult then bang! he started ripping shreds off my 6mth old roos
idunno.gif
so i rehomed him then i had to rehome 2 others for fighting,that left 3 x 6mth olds i lost them 1 by 1 with some strange illness but then my daughter & grandchildren bought me 5 (designer) chickens lol
wee.gif
3 x polish & 2 x silkys and would you believe 3 are roos now 7mths old, 1 silky and 2 polish, 1 of the polish (gizmo) AKA mr shagtastic !!! is sex mad, but i have a 9mth old brahma roo samson who is now boss man
thumbsup.gif
and its so funny watching him try to catch gizmo after he has tried to tread a lady, takes him a while as i only have 3 bantam all the others are large fowl, but i give him 10/10 for effort all are friendly boys
yesss.gif
had 1 nasty roo dont want another!

My Buff Orpington rooster is very docile to humans. I did handle him, pet him, and hand-fed him while growing up. When I go outside to spend time with them he doesn't hand feed now, he just keeps his distance. He respects me and the kids when we go out, has never tried to flog any of us. But he has the hens in check. He calls they come, he pecks they stop. He sleeps in the coop with his 3 hens always has and always will. Right now he sleeps facing inward to keep an eye on his broody. He checks on her throughout the day. It's cute because he will go up to her in the nesting box and rub his neck against her's when he does that she'll stop "puffing" at him. :love

Also, he doesn't crow ... he turned out to be a LAUGHING ROOSTER!! :lol:

My Buff Orpington rooster is very docile to humans. I did handle him, pet him, and hand-fed him while growing up. When I go outside to spend time with them he doesn't hand feed now, he just keeps his distance. He respects me and the kids when we go out, has never tried to flog any of us. But he has the hens in check. He calls they come, he pecks they stop. He sleeps in the coop with his 3 hens always has and always will. Right now he sleeps facing inward to keep an eye on his broody. He checks on her throughout the day. It's cute because he will go up to her in the nesting box and rub his neck against her's when he does that she'll stop "puffing" at him.
love.gif

Also, he doesn't crow ... he turned out to be a LAUGHING ROOSTER!!
lol.png

That sounds like a win-win to me. Unless the laughing drives you crazy.
gig.gif

One of my friends I work has a friend with a rooster that has been hanging around her house and neighborhood for the last week . The neighbors needless to say ate not happy with him . My friend says that the lady has been feeding him corn everyday and also when she gets home from work the rooster is waiting for her on her poarch every night . I am considering trying to catch this rooster and bring him to my small farm . I have a flock of 20 hens in 4 seperate coops . I do not want to mix this rooster with my girls , right now I do not want chicks . Would it be a bad idea to bring him home and let him free range at my farm with the hens cooped . I don't want to see him get hurt in the neighborhood , but I also don't want him to be unhappy at my house . I sell my eggs to my coworkers and I don't want fertilized eggs right now . Also the lady has said there is something wrong with one if his legs , I work for a vet so j could take him and get him checked out . I have no experience with rooster , I am new at keeping chickens and I have them for less than a year . Any advice would be great ! Thanks

Ok I've just raised 2 barred rock Roos to 9 weeks gave one away and kept one I named Jack. I just love him. But I put him out with the girls in the coop and of course he's getting picked on. I took him out alone and gave him food and water on my deck yesterday morning and today. But last night I went to go close the gate and make sure the chickens were all in and there was jack at my door on the deck. I have him out right now and he's still on the deck at the door trying to get in. My poor baby lol. I will let the hens out before I go to work but I can't leave him in the pen with the girls. He slept in the nesting box last night after he got run out. Anyways here's a pic of my baby boy. What to do?? I can't be mean to him I have held him a lot.

Last edited:
I agree treat a rooster good but don't back down from him he needs to learn respect for you and the rest of the people that help you with your chickens.

After almost a year I have ended up with 3 roosters. One of them was by choice. I do NOT have any problems with them. As most of you have read, I have had a few issues but they were resolved easily enough. I do NOT pick up my roosters unless I have to. I do NOT pet them-usually hehe. They are good to the hens-no problems. When I was flogged by the oldest of the 3 I chased him down to show that I am boss. That has worked. None of my chickens jump at me except my alpha hen-she jumps on my shoulders
love.gif

So raise them like the rest except know that they are not like the rest. Don't cuddle them but pet them occasionally. Chase them down if they try anything funny! Start at a young age.

If any of them were mean to the hens I would make soup out of them, although that has never happened. Most of my hens will kick their butts if they tried.

I raised all mine, so I can not speak for a rooster raised by another.

Let me know if this method has NOT worked for anyone, I love to hear input!

Quote: Well I really liked Big Red, but then he started pecking and making the pullets cry, so I gave him to my neighbors who said they wanted him. He was pretty timid for a few days. I guess the novel surroundings made him shy. Now he is feeling more secure and is now attacking everyone. Pecked my friend from behind while she was watering her plants, and has chased everyone who walks into their yard like a guard dog. It is amazing how the rooster's personality changes as he becomes a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom