How To Raise A Rooster

Ok so I've been a bit sweet on my roughly 4 week old roo. Its just so cute when he puffs up his little chest and struts over to me. I usually just give him a little rub on the chest and say hi and go about cleaning and changing out the brooder. I have a stallion and I've handled many colts, my instincts tell me not to be too heavy on him yet. But I've never had a rooster. So I'm not sure. He will be introduced with 2 hens (I hope the are both hens) his own age, into a flock of 12 ducks(5drakes) with 2 full grown hens, a big australorp and an Isa brown. The australorp will be over the moon, she's always broody. I don't even know what breed the little guy is, I'm in love with him already.

Good reading. I have a somewhat timid BR roo in my brooder that I would like to keep. Good to know that we've been doing the right thing by not interacting with him much. He doesn't seem to want the attention and we don't force it.

My entire flock was knocked out by a stupid homeless thief!!! So my neighbor throws a beautiful rooster over my fence for me to start over. He is big!!! I excitedly decided he needs hens so I went out immediately and purchased 5 seven week olds. I have them in a brooder in the coop and run. How long until I let them out with him? I am not worried about quarantine because I know this breeder very well and she is very clean. However, I am worried about him being aggressive with the girls.

I have read multiple accounts of roosters being protective and good to youngens as long as their momma isn't around. So what do I do?

Lol I have had a flock for 2 yrs, u would think I would know more, however I am starting fresh again!

My entire flock was knocked out by a stupid homeless thief!!! So my neighbor throws a beautiful rooster over my fence for me to start over. He is big!!! I excitedly decided he needs hens so I went out immediately and purchased 5 seven week olds. I have them in a brooder in the coop and run. How long until I let them out with him? I am not worried about quarantine because I know this breeder very well and she is very clean. However, I am worried about him being aggressive with the girls.

I have read multiple accounts of roosters being protective and good to youngens as long as their momma isn't around. So what do I do?

Lol I have had a flock for 2 yrs, u would think I would know more, however I am starting fresh again!
"My entire flock was knocked out by a stupid homeless thief!!! "
I hope you mean a stray dog, and not a human?
ep.gif

With integrating different age groups, I always try to make sure there are plenty of spaces and obstacles so that the smaller birds can get away easily if they need to- lots of bales of hay, different perches, half-fences, etc.. Wait until the chicks are around eight weeks if you can, and then supervise as much as possible to watch for issues. Sometimes I put them in another close by fenced area so they can all see each other first, then let them in together once they get calm with that.

Good luck!

No I was referring to a human thief! Cops said no proof! I do have them so they can see each other. The rooster, I am calling him Stanley, was eying them last night but showed no aggression. He just looked curious

The chicks will be mature when they are 4 to 6 months old. I think it's ok to put them together. The rooster will probably show no interest in them until they are mature.

The rooster we have now does really well with chicks. (our first head honcho was a beast) I've let him meet them pretty young and so far so good. He'll even stand between the chicks and my other hens like a peacekeeper.

Wow, this is the first I've read anyone suggesting not to bother with the rooster. Everyone else proclaims that a lot of nuturing is the way to go. It makes sense like with wild birds... Not socializing them keeps them stearing clear of you. Thanks for the info!

I ordered all hens and after raising them with love and affection.. The most affectionate of the group turned out to be a rooster. My husband demanded that we kill him but he's adorable . He's the only one who likes to be held and follows me around the garden to hang out. He doesn't chase me or peck me in anyway... But after reading some of these comments I wonder if I'm doing something wrong by continuing to display affectionate behavior towards him. Rupert formally known as Ruby just started crowing last week. He's about 5 1/2 months old.

Also big question can he sleep in the coop with other hens ?

Back
Top Bottom