How to Raise Chicks

I hardly know where to start. So much misinformation on this thread. Start chicks out at 90 not 95 degrees. Lower by 5 degrees a week until about 70 degrees or if the breast of the bird is fully feathered.
Do not use deep litter system with baby chicks. These are babies with immature immune systems. In the first week floor the brooder with something on which the chicks' feet can get a grip. Thick absorbant white paper towels work well. 3-6 layers deep. Change when the chicks cannot walk through the Brooder without walking in poop constantly. About every 2-3 days
Or if it smells like ammonia. Go to the farm or feed store and buy the small bottle of Bovidr Labs Poultry Nutridrench.
Http://www.nutridrench.com
Put one half teaspoon in a quart of water. Do this for the 1st 2 weeks to get them off to a strong start
Get a medicated chick crumble. Naturewise by Cargill makes a good one. No need for apple cider vinegar in the water. The Drench does the same thing. One other thing you can do
Think of your chicks as walking gastrointestional tracts. I'm serious. The health and proper functioning of the G.I. tract affects so much the the baby birds well-being.
That's why you give the Drench water.
Now go to the store and get some Okios Triple Zero Yogurt vanilla . Give the chicks a feed each day for the first week. Take it out of the brooder after 10 minutes so it doesn't spoil under the warm Light.
When the chicks are a week old, sprinkle some chick grit on the floor of the Brooder. After they figure out what it is, get a small cup and put it in with them. They will eat the grit as they need it. They don't need it to digest the chick feed. It is needed to exercise the gizzard so it will grow stronger, larger and healthier. You probably won't see a difference in the chick. Everything is going on inside the bird.
That's about it. After the chicks outgrow the paper towels, go to Tractor Supply and get the white bale of pine shavings not the yellow bale. It is kiln dried. Floor the Brooder with 3 inches of the shavings. Change when you notice amonia smell. Maybe every 4-5 days. Go to Walmart and get the digital hygrometer they sell for about 9.00 place in corner of brooder floor where you can read it. Lowe's sells the nice porcelain socket brooder lights for about 8 dollars. Check your local swap meet or ma and Pa hardware store for incandescent bulbs. Soft white. Use a 100 watt bulb
Then in a week or two, back down to 75 watts. No need for 250 red heat bulb.
Best,
Karen

I hardly know where to start. So much misinformation on this thread.

Come on now... it's one thing to have a different opinion or particular prefered way of doing things. but it's inappropriate to call any other approach or differing opinion "misinformation..."

Do not use deep litter system with baby chicks. These are babies with immature immune systems.
Karen

Chickens actually have naturally robust immunity, but only if it is developed and "trained", so I don't follow the logic--its like saying that you shouldn't let your children play outside because they might get sick, when in fact we now know the opposite is more accurate. But I explained my logic already (cogently, i hoped), so i won't do so further here (i dont want hijack the thread any more than i already may have :oops:).

But I would like to say that if different approaches are successful, sharing them is not spreading "misinformation." Rather, it's misinformative to suggest so--as is, imho, suggesting to beginners that they need to purchase a lot of equipment (why the hygrometers?) and products ( i've never even heard of "drench") in order to succesfully brood chicks. theres a few of things in the rest of that post too i wouldn't myself practice or generally recommend... But thats not the point...

the point is, we can always accomplish more and have a better time doing it by reasonably discussing and comparing different things that work for different folks than by being inflamatory and accusing each other of posting misinformation. At least, i hope so! :)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom