How to raise meanworms as chicken treats?

I got my worms from Petco...a bit more expensive, but I didn't want to wait for shipping. lol They are all beetles now and I have some itty bitty baby wormies showing up. I just give them potato or carrot...sometimes celery or an apple...every once in a while and they are doing great. =)

I've thought about this as the dried worms are so expensive BUT I am afraid the bugs would get out and get into my cereal and flour. Does this happen? Do I need to be concerned?

If not, I'm going to start some right away.

Becky in NoDa

No, no worries about them getting out. Part of the reason they are SO great, is that they are super easy to raise, and super easy to keep contained. They can't climb slick plastic walls. Live mealies from a breeder are super inexpensive. I ordered 2000 to start my colony, and they were like 20 bucks. I keep mine in unmedicated chick starter and throw them a slice of potato once in a while.

superworms are a different species. Their breeding habits are a bit different, and their jaws are bigger...

"giant" or "jumbo" mealworms have been treated with a hormone to retard their life cycle, staving off becoming a beatle to reach a much larger worm size

Last edited:
Would the super worms be good to raise? Would chickens and ducks be ok eating them? Or should I just stick with regular ones for a beginner grower?

Also.. any recommendations on where to get some to start? Any particular breeder that is recommended?

Thank.

I used sunshine mealworms and flukers for my first batch. It may sound wierd, but I wanted to try to get some genetic diversity...I think producers don't really bring in "new blood"...I mean, they are just bugs after all, but I will tell you, the first ones I got were from flukers, and the beetles were all developing with a missing wing shield, and wrinkled wings. After adding some from sunshine mealworms, I didn't have any more deformed beetles.

I would stick with regular mealworms first. Breeding superworms is a little bit more involved and a little more complex. The extreme ease of breeding, and prolific production work out beautifully for feeding multiple birds on a regular basis. I raise mine in a two drawer sterilite container.

I am considering switching to a finer powder substrate rather than chick starter...it would be really nice to be able to sift them out for feeding...but I fear switching to a powder would make it tough to sift out the frass as it builds up.

kari-dawn.. how does your 2 drawer system work? Do you have mesh on the top one for the eggs to fall thru?

I just ordered 1000 mealworms this morning....Now to get my bins set up...

nope, im lazy. Just two separate colonies. Threw two inches of chick starter in each drawer, tossed half my order in each drawer, gave them a piece of egg carton to hide in, toss a few potato slices in once in a while, and when there is too many old potato slices, I take some out (I leave them just incase a beetle desides to lay eggs on them)..

nope, im lazy. Just two separate colonies. Threw two inches of chick starter in each drawer, tossed half my order in each drawer, gave them a piece of egg carton to hide in, toss a few potato slices in once in a while, and when there is too many old potato slices, I take some out (I leave them just incase a beetle desides to lay eggs on them)..

Thats the way im gonna go... for now at least.. Thanks.

I love the drawer setup. Wish I had seen it before I started. Someone on facebook ( is that where all the videos are?) has an instructional video on raising both meal worms and super worms. I think if you do a search or raising meal worms, it'll come up. I use bran as a medium, I get it at the elevator. I've been raising them for my skunk, I'll have to increase my production.

Back
Top Bottom