How to raise poultry with neighbors?

This thread got derailed. The OP asked how loud guineas are and if his neighbors are likely to complain. When answered in the affirmative, he then asked if the guineas were likely to disappear into the forest and take their noise there. I suggest we let him try it and see how his neighbors react. My personal opinion is that, IF the guineas are male and female and disappear into the forest, his neighbors are going to take up a new sport.

This thread got derailed. The OP asked how loud guineas are and if his neighbors are likely to complain. When answered in the affirmative, he then asked if the guineas were likely to disappear into the forest and take their noise there. I suggest we let him try it and see how his neighbors react. My personal opinion is that, IF the guineas are male and female and disappear into the forest, his neighbors are going to take up a new sport.
Agree. Title of the thread is "How to raise poultry with neighbors?"

Answer: With pens. And, if you have noise ordinances: NO GUINEAS! :D

I disagree. The earth belongs to no one, and all humans I know are fine with my chickens eating bugs in the woods. You see problems where none exist
So if the earth belongs to no one, then I can go and dump my trash in the woods? I can raise my livestock in the woods? I can build a vacation house in the woods? I can cut down some trees in the woods because it's cheaper than buying lumber from the store? It's nobody's, so nobody should care, right? But people do care - in fact, people are appointed and hired specifically to care and put regulations in place, to restrict the public's use and encroachment on woods and other natural areas, because if left to you and me, we as a species do not care enough to protect anything. People tend to think about their own self interest at the expense of everything else (as evident from this thread). That's why there are things like the US Forest Service, National Wildlife Federation, etc. and state/local agencies that oversee the protection of nature and regulate what you can and cannot do to it. It's not nobody's, and it's not a free-for-all that everybody's entitled to do with as they please. If it's not yours, then you don't have a claim on it.

think you’re missing the point… no one is against free ranging if it’s ON YOUR OWN PROPERTY. But letting them roam around unchecked in other peoples property is not okay.
This! Most of my birds free range, but they stick to my property. They don't go to the neighbors, they don't wander into the road or the bordering pastures, they stay where they belong!

It is not private property
If the forest is not private property, then who DOES it belong to?
The government of the country? The state? A local Homeowner's Association? A big corporation or company? It sounds like you are in the USA, where every piece of property belongs to someone, even if that someone is not a private individual.

Whoever actually does own that forest, it should be up to THEM whether your guineas or turkeys are on their land.

About the guineas, the answer seems obvious to me, from several things you have said:
I had to get rid of my chickens once because my neighbors did not like them clucking at 5AM.
I bought two guineas...I do not care how loud they scream there, as long as they do not scream in my yard
If my guineas get too loud then I will probably have to cull them
Those guinea keets were somewhat of an impulse buy :hmm
But if anything goes wrong I can just give them to my cousin (his neighbors do not care about noise).

Your neighbors object to noisy birds, and you do not want to have the guineas making noise in your yard. You already said you could cull them or give them to your cousin, so I suggest you do one of those things.

If the forest is not private property, then who DOES it belong to?
The government of the country? The state? A local Homeowner's Association? A big corporation or company? It sounds like you are in the USA, where every piece of property belongs to someone, even if that someone is not a private individual.

Whoever actually does own that forest, it should be up to THEM whether your guineas or turkeys are on their land.

About the guineas, the answer seems obvious to me, from several things you have said:

Your neighbors object to noisy birds, and you do not want to have the guineas making noise in your yard. You already said you could cull them or give them to your cousin, so I suggest you do one of those things.

The land belongs to my county, and I checked their regulations. They allow cats to roam in the forest. The only animal restriction regarding public land is that dogs must be on their leashes. It mentions nothing about guineafowl let alone turkeys, but I assume that if cats are allowed to legally roam then so should my guineafowl.

Back
Top Bottom