How to Re-Introduce Healed Chicken to Flock

crzychicknmom

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2020
Hi!

First time post so please bear with me!

Our Americauna female was hurt by one of our roosters (all roosters now re-homed that's another story!). We were able to successfully isolate and heal her wound with vetricyn and love and care, but now she is almost ready to be reintegrated with the four other females we have in our backyard coop. Was looking for tips on how best to get her back in with the other ladies, she was the lowest on the pecking order before but I am hoping now that the roosters are gone things will be less difficult for her. I know to wait until she has no visible scabs etc before the re-introduction.

Thanks!!

Hi!

First time post so please bear with me!

Our Americauna female was hurt by one of our roosters (all roosters now re-homed that's another story!). We were able to successfully isolate and heal her wound with vetricyn and love and care, but now she is almost ready to be reintegrated with the four other females we have in our backyard coop. Was looking for tips on how best to get her back in with the other ladies, she was the lowest on the pecking order before but I am hoping now that the roosters are gone things will be less difficult for her. I know to wait until she has no visible scabs etc before the re-introduction.

Thanks!!
We did it overnight, slipped her in after dark

Sorry no one responded sooner. I hope she does well. Keep an eye on her tomorrow if you can. I've just re-introduced a sick girl as well and I've been glued to the run all day. She seems to be doing well but keeps looking to me for support because I've been taking care of her. Hope for the best for both our girls. :)

How long has she been separated from the flock? How many in the flock?

You could try as @reluctant farmer suggested, adding her when it's dark & keeping a close watch how the flock reacts in the morning. Another way is put her in a wire cage with food and water, put the cage in the coop = See but no touch. :hugs

She's had to be kept separate for almost 3 weeks now, had a nasty almost scalping injury that took some time to heal. She is one of 5 chickens for us, the other ladies live in total harmony since the roosters are gone.

Thankfully during the day she is only about 6 feet away from our fenced in run because we were able to build a temporary fenced in run for her and she has an extra large cat carrier for her little "coop" that goes into the garage at night because we do have foxes in our neighborhood. I'm hoping that being close to them this whole time helps!

Waiting for a large dog kennel to arrive in the mail so maybe will try the wire cage method first to see how things go. Thank you!

Sorry no one responded sooner. I hope she does well. Keep an eye on her tomorrow if you can. I've just re-introduced a sick girl as well and I've been glued to the run all day. She seems to be doing well but keeps looking to me for support because I've been taking care of her. Hope for the best for both our girls. :)

I will watch closely! She is definitely attached to me at this point, we have spent a lot of quality time together!

Back
Top Bottom