how to reduce humidity

lulu_lulu

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2017
I live in tropical climate country that only have dry and wet season. my experience in my last incubating egg it was during dry season, the air humidity outside the incubator box is around 30%-55%. and in the box I tried to keep the humidity around 50%-55%. usually when open the box for candling the egg the humidity dropped right away to the same humidity outside of the box.

but right now its wet season and I want to incubate egg again but the problem is the humidity outside the box is always above 65% (almost all the time above 72%). even inside the box the humidity is like that. I tried to opening all the vent and even open the the box to see if the humidity will drop but the opposite happened.

please HELP

sponges also work too, I found it easier to control humidity when I put a sponge in the bators channels. also, if you have to open the incubator to add water feed a fish tank filter line through a vent and into the channels, and add water with a syringe-like item. that way you can control humidity accordingly without losing any by opening it up.

Try putting a bowl of rice in there. Rice sucks up water, that's why people put it in salt-shakers.

Hope that works, and I'm sure there are other ways.
its work, after less than a day my incubators humidity reduced to 57%, hope it will goes down again to 50% :D

sponges also work too, I found it easier to control humidity when I put a sponge in the bators channels. also, if you have to open the incubator to add water feed a fish tank filter line through a vent and into the channels, and add water with a syringe-like item. that way you can control humidity accordingly without losing any by opening it up.

oh, thanks with the sponge idea, i ll try to add it if this rice method cant reduced humidity to my preferable. and right now my incubators box has no water in it because the humidity is already too high in this season. so controlling humidity with water is not work (that what I think). I ll add water if it goes too low.
anyway thanks for the idea :D

Humidity is expressed as RELATIVE humidity. This means that the humidity is RELATIVE to the temperature inside the incubator or beneath the hen. Unless additional water vapor is introduced the RELATIVE humidity will decrease once the incubation device comes up to temperature. How the poor old RED JUNGLE fowl ever managed to cope with the RELATIVE humidity in a jungle or other tropical forest is beyond me.

Just FYI, when I incubate, I keep my humidity at 30 - 40% through day 18. That seems to work well for me to achieve correct sized air cells. I jack the humidity up to 65% for hatch.

Do you have an option of incubating during dry season???

Have the same problem in the deep south. I have tried rice and or the dehumidifier silica packets but neither would lower my high humidity (80 to 90) enough in the summer time. I ended up buying a dehumidifier for the room...It works very well however it was not cheap and takes as much energy as an air conditioner, unfortunately the dehumidifiers put out considerable heat at the same time you are most likely using the AC. I was concerned with mold during the high humidity so the expense was not spent just for incubating eggs....I never have to add water to my incubator I hatch about 100 quail every year and usually at least one batch of chickens. With the dehumidifier on I can get RH down to between 35-40 at lock down I turn it off and am normally measuring 70 to 80. Expensive solution but the only way I was able to bring the humidity down.

Back
Top Bottom