1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to respond to "It will cost the city money to regulate"???

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by changingchickens, Feb 10, 2012.

1. changingchickens

changingchickens New Egg

Dec 8, 2011
    So I have now been advised that I can only get the ball rolling by simply submitting a written request or attending and speaking at the upcoming meeting which I will be doing. I tried asking for a zoning variance. My response was "Chapter 5 is not part of zoning ordinance. It is not, therefore, within the authority of the Board of Adjustment to consider a variance to Chapter 5’s provisions. By state statute, the variance procedure can only be used for Zoning Ordinance regulations"

I know one of the objections will simply be the the city doesn't have the money to regulate it. Can I get some ideas of how to respond please.

Thanks!

2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    they regulate dogs right?

backyard chickens could fall under the same type of rules.

as long as they are not noisy, stinky or a health hazard I can have chickens. the same rules apply for dogs.

leash and collars may be optional

3. Chris in South Park

Chris in South Park Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    When the San Diego city council legalized chickens last week they were quite proud to declare their act as "regulatory relief" - ie getting government off your back. Maybe shift your city's focus to freedoms and property rights in a tactful way so regulation is not desirable?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by