How to run an electric coop door off a 12 v car battery and a 12 v DC timer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wenham Hens, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Wenham Hens

Wenham Hens New Egg

Sep 16, 2012
    Hi,

this is my first flock. 7 beautiful girls, and 6 are laying. The coop is about 100' from the nearest source of power, so i am determined to run the electric coop door off a 12 volt car battery with a 12 v DC timer.

I've got the electric motor and coop door installed, and they have been running off a long extension cord with a manual lamp timer perfectly for the past 2 weeks.

Next I bought a 15 watt solar trickle charger and connected it to a good 12 v old car battery. The pv panel, charger, controller and battery condition indicator are all running perfectly,so I went ahead and bought a timer.

I thought the timer was a 12 volt DC timer. It didn't work, and it turns out that the timer uses AC power to run a 12 volt DC motor. That wasn't clear in the instructions, and I don't have any experience with electrical terms, so I bought the wrong product. Fortunately it was only $15, so it's not a problem.

What I need is someone to point me to the correct timer device that uses 12 v DC power to run a 12 v DC motor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alden

2. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
  3. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Altronix makes a timer that will open a door and keep it open for a program length of time. You can call and talk to their tech guy.

I used two 12vdc timers made by Diehl - http://www.borggeneral.com/digital-timer-series884.html. One to open one to close. I did this because i had them on hand.

Search for 12vdc event timers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by