How to Safely Catch and Treat and/or Medicate Peafowl

Yeah that is almost just like the one I have.
I was just reading about nets on the French peafowl forum the other day, and I think they were recommending a fine netting as opposed to the coarse netting (little tiny holes vs big holes) so it doesn't damage or catch feathers. I guess I will go back and reread their stuff..

Anybody know what the goose and turkey people use for catching birds? I'm also thinking about what size the opening needs to be to work well for peas?

the net I bought from cutlersupply.com...its is very handy in catching birds...they do make a wider one.....I have caught all my pheasants and chickens with this as well as some of the peafowl when they were smaller....and in a day or so I will be catching the birds again...hope its not to small for them...I did notice that when I moved the two small white peafowl that they were very calm when taking the blanket approach...once over their heads they were very calm and I was able to catch them and hold them against my body and walk them from the garage thru the house and to the greenhouse...which I quiet the far walk...I did this with one hand...he is a pic which I took by myself to show you how calm they were during transport...

I did notice when I used the fishing net with the big holes that the birds would have a lot more damage to their feathers and sometimes their head would go threw the holes so I bought the right net and as you can see the holes are smaller then a dime...making handling the birds a lot safer for them...I can net a chicken and pheasant and only use one hand...so it works way better then the other net...and its a lot harder for the bird to catch there nails on the net...hope this helps I will post pics on when I handle the birds later this week...also you can see a 3ml syringe that I got today for measuring as well....

note to add...
that the bird will be squirmy when you first do this but once they realize that your not there to harm them then they settle down..however you will have some birds that just don't like to be handled...I think one of my peafowl is this way but I will know for sure when I handle them soon...
how much should you give the valbazen in ml to the peafowl....?

I just can't keep up with you guys! You are burning up the net.
gig.gif
Net....

OK, I can't play right now but here is a pic of the net I bought from Smith Poultry, I think it was around $75? It is made by KUHL, rhymes with cool.

This one is the 36", they also make a 48" but I am glad I didn't buy the bigger one.

Gotta run off to the city, I'll type up a process later tonight If I can get all the posts read.
caf.gif

@Jack07 , est-ce que c'est possible de nous aviser le lien pour vendeur d'épuisette que vous trouvez agréable?

Could you give us the link to the seller of catching nets that you like?

Merci!

I have a net but my birds also panic when seeing it. :( it gets everyone so riled that I am afraid they will hurt themselves.

Ditto on the boys with long tails, make sue you grab the whole tail and not just a few feathers. And grab it as high up as you can.

My wildest I have to trap in a corner of a pen, and I always always use the small blanket because I am not a strong person. And ditto on not grabbing legs, that's how a lot of old timers do it but I have heard horror stories with that method.

Back
Top Bottom