How to set up a chicken dust bath

My sand box is 3'x4.5' frame made from 2x8 boards screwed together. I add .4 cubic foot of DE/ash mix (equal parts) to every 1 cubic foot of sand. I also like to toss in a 1/2 cup of ground clove as it acts as a natural mite repellent - and it makes the chicken smell delicious! 😂

I add a sand box for every 12-15 chickens. Adding extra boxes to accommodate the flock size helps to keep my chickens from digging holes all over the run.
How large a run do you have for them?

My chickens dust all over the place. I have a few planters with nothing but dirt in them right now, and the chickens have claimed them. I have a large area of raised garden beds. One isn't in use for winter crops, so the chickens have claimed it. I have a round planter that is about 2.5 ft in diameter, and about 1 ft deep filled with sand/dirt in the run. They love this. -never used any DE, and never had a mite problem. Pretty much anything they can fit into (and sometimes things that they don't - which is hilarious to watch) can serve as a dusting area. I've had two fluffy Buff Orpingtons pile into one flower pot before. Hoot!

OMG everywhere i look there are different opinions and so it gets so confusing. I would think its ok to use food grade DE in moderation but not the type that is not food grade.
I'm going to make mine with mostly dirt and sand and add small amounts of ash and food grade DE, maybe come clove might be nice as has been suggested.

OMG everywhere i look there are different opinions and so it gets so confusing. I would think its ok to use food grade DE in moderation but not the type that is not food grade.
I'm going to make mine with mostly dirt and sand and add small amounts of ash and food grade DE, maybe come clove might be nice as has been suggested.
I was thinking the same thing! And I’m leaning towrarfs that recipe also! 😊

Back
Top Bottom