How to sex 3 week old chicks?

Nicole is right, the little roo will have a larger and reddish pink comb compared to the pullets. I've also been able to tell if I have a roo or not by looking at the back of the leg see if there is a little round nubb about ankle high, that showed up early with my chickens at least when I noticed at about 8 weeks I'd say. Maybe I should go check my brooder now, after all I have 52 four week old chicks in there...I ordered 1 cockerel but it looks like I may have a few in there.
roll.png

I dna sex my silkies. It can be done with any breed and its only 10 dollars per sample. I use Accu-metrics lab in Canada and they serve world wide. All you do is pluck a few chest feathers out And send them to the lab once the lab recieves the samples it takes about two days to get results. If your testing several use a colour leg band system and lable each sample in its own envelope like this example buff green would be the buff with the green leg band or buff red the buff with the red leg band ect. when results come they will read the same way. Example buff red female orbuff green male. This way their is no confusion . The leg band system works great
and for 10 dollars a Sample its a great deal. It really helped me out with sexing my silkies!!

Its a lab in Canada called Accu-metrics. Look up
www.accu-metrics.com/avain.php it is ten dollars per sample. Watch the video on the web site on how to pluck a feather sample. Hope this helps. Best wishes. Scroll to animal services in the menu area. Then scroll to avain sexing. I'm not sure if they serve
Australia but you can check. If they don't I would google dna sex testing for birds in Australia and see if you can find a lab that serves your area. Its really a easy and inexpensive way to sex birds. All my silkie babies have been dna sex tested.its so easy to fearher sex. I hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom