How to sex buff Orpingtons?

jvls, do you have a photo of the wing feathers that you're referring to? I've never been able to tell my male and female BO's apart until they start crowing! I'd love to know the feather technique. Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your responses...

I'd like to know more about the feathering thing too. I picked out birds that were already feathering out. I figured that those would be the hardiest and probably a roo too. We shall see...what is the earliest I could expect a crow attempt? I am new to chicks.

Quote:
Click on this link....watch it all the way...it has a very good close up of the feathers and how to tell them apart....

Quote:
Click on this link....watch it all the way...it has a very good close up of the feathers and how to tell them apart....

Oh, dear!!! I just watched the video. Those poor babies!
ep.gif

It's a wonder any of them ever arrive alive! I guess the little fuzzballs are tougher than they look, huh?

Quote:

Oh, dear!!! I just watched the video. Those poor babies!
ep.gif

It's a wonder any of them ever arrive alive! I guess the little fuzzballs are tougher than they look, huh?

Yes, they are a lot tougher than they look and we think.
jumpy.gif
The video does have a good upclose shot of the wing feathers though and how to sex that way. Im not sure what breeds it works for though.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom