How to shorten electric netting?

rachelxten

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2019
South Eastern Wisconsin
Hello fellow BYC folks

Sadly, last week we lost one of our 4 sweet girls to a fox with severe mange during the middle of the day. I know this is part of the risk we take in owning chickens but it’s been devastating for me and husband.

We’re urban chicken keepers with about 1/4 acre of a backyard and a 6foot fence all around. This fox is hoping on our neighbors trash cans to gain access to our yard. Since they’re renters and we don’t want to go down that route of asking them to move their cans we’ve purchased electric poultry netting.

*please also note we’ve made the choice to free range so cooping all day is not for us*

This brings me to my big question. The netting I purchased is 164’. We need closer to 90-110 feet. What should I do with the excess fencing to A. Make sure the fence is still hot and B. Allows us to access the ‘gate’ portion where the fence completes the circuit.

Please help! ❤️

TLDR; how to shorten electric fence netting so it’s still functional.

Hello fellow BYC folks

Sadly, last week we lost one of our 4 sweet girls to a fox with severe mange during the middle of the day. I know this is part of the risk we take in owning chickens but it’s been devastating for me and husband.

We’re urban chicken keepers with about 1/4 acre of a backyard and a 6foot fence all around. This fox is hoping on our neighbors trash cans to gain access to our yard. Since they’re renters and we don’t want to go down that route of asking them to move their cans we’ve purchased electric poultry netting.

*please also note we’ve made the choice to free range so cooping all day is not for us*

This brings me to my big question. The netting I purchased is 164’. We need closer to 90-110 feet. What should I do with the excess fencing to A. Make sure the fence is still hot and B. Allows us to access the ‘gate’ portion where the fence completes the circuit.

Please help! ❤️

TLDR; how to shorten electric fence netting so it’s still functional.

I will eventually shorten my fencing lengths by cutting out the vertical support strands as far back along the length so that I can twist and bundle the hot wires the way they are when the netting comes to you. Then clamp them together with a brass squeeze clamp.
But you can also just loop back the end of the net. It tends to arc against the portion it is looped back upon and doesn't look good but it still functions.

I will eventually shorten my fencing lengths by cutting out the vertical support strands as far back along the length so that I can twist and bundle the hot wires the way they are when the netting comes to you. Then clamp them together with a brass squeeze clamp.
But you can also just loop back the end of the net. It tends to arc against the portion it is looped back upon and doesn't look good but it still functions.

I have studied my fencing, and this is how you would have to do it. At an existing post.

kencove fence.jpg

When this fence was made, the horizontal hot wire strands were terminated at the post by wrapping it around, then tying an overhand knot......with several feet of excess wire, without the vertical bands........excess wires were then brought up to the top and all terminated at the same point with an overhand knot. This connects each horizontal strand so each is hot. It is done this way on both ends. So that is what you should do to shorten it.

Option B is to leave the entire length as is, but roll or bunch it tightly at one end.....or as suggested, double it back on itself to get the length you want.

Option C is to not use poultry netting but use hot wires or poly rope or poly tape instead. That way you can make it any length you want and put your corners where you want them......not where they fall as is done with the netting. Since you already have the fence charger, Option C is an easy solution.

PS: If fox gets in using neighbor's trash can, how does he get out?

Thank you so much! So sorry for the delayed reply we’ve been so busy trying to order all the parts for this fence (living in a city not near farming supplies makes it tough). Just shortened it today by cutting the horizontal wires and reconnecting the hot wires with a mending kit. Thank you again everyone! It’s up and running and HOT

I have studied my fencing, and this is how you would have to do it. At an existing post.

View attachment 1896102

When this fence was made, the horizontal hot wire strands were terminated at the post by wrapping it around, then tying an overhand knot......with several feet of excess wire, without the vertical bands........excess wires were then brought up to the top and all terminated at the same point with an overhand knot. This connects each horizontal strand so each is hot. It is done this way on both ends. So that is what you should do to shorten it.

Option B is to leave the entire length as is, but roll or bunch it tightly at one end.....or as suggested, double it back on itself to get the length you want.

Option C is to not use poultry netting but use hot wires or poly rope or poly tape instead. That way you can make it any length you want and put your corners where you want them......not where they fall as is done with the netting. Since you already have the fence charger, Option C is an easy solution.

PS: If fox gets in using neighbor's trash can, how does he get out?
He was jumping on our cans as well, they were pushed up against the fence up until we realized how he was getting in and out. We’ve since moved them far away from the fence.

Welcome! Sorry for your loss, and hope this works well for you.
Is electric fencing legal in Milwaukee? Don't get in trouble over it! Your predators should stay away though, good for you.
Mary

Welcome! Sorry for your loss, and hope this works well for you.
Is electric fencing legal in Milwaukee? Don't get in trouble over it! Your predators should stay away though, good for you.
Mary
Why wouldn’t it be? It’s not a full on electric fence it’s electric poultry netting basically an electric dog fence which for sure is used all over the city.

Just a thought.

Are the trash cans that the fox is jumping on metal or plastic? It makes a difference. You see, the fox has to be grounded (touching both the ground and the fence) for the electric fence to shock it when coming into your yard. Metal cans are conductors, and should hopefully help deliver a shock to the fox. Plastic cans act as an insulator between the ground and the fox, and so the fox will not be shocked by the fence if the cans are plastic. Same thing applies to animals who jump clear over fences instead of climbing them. If they touch the fence while in midair, no shock happens. If they are touching the ground and the fence at the same time, they get zapped.

Back
Top Bottom