How to socialize chicks with larger chickens

Personally, I start by waiting until the chicks are a bit older (a few weeks old so they can go outside for short periods of time), then bring them outside. I set up a little run (anything that prevents the chicks and older chickens from directly interacting will work) and place the chicks inside. I do this for a couple of days until the chicks and older chickens are used to each other (I find that a hen or two will go up to where the chicks are out of curiosity).
Then, I take away the run and simply let the chicks wander outside for shorter periods of time. When they encounter the adult chickens, I usually leave them be unless the adults get too aggressive with the chicks.
After a while, they should all get along. If not, I give stern lectures to my meanest hen! ;)

All in all, take it slow, and you should have nothing to worry about if your older chickens are docile; even if not, after some time, they'll all accept each other. Giving treats to everyone helps too. Also remember that there's no need to break them apart if they start fighting (as long as there's no blood and nobody is getting badly hurt) since its for establishing their pecking order/dominance.

Good luck!

Alright

See the youngsters in the cage well the older ones walk around
them all day and get use to seeing them and after 4 weeks when
it is time for the growing cage the older poultry are acquainted
with them and no problem
cool.png

I have a silkie rooster, 7 hens 1 -2 years old, and one pullet who is 5 months old. She does not sit on the roost with the others, but sits on top of the crate by herself. They are all fine in the coop together, and she tends to stay away from them. If the pullet goes outside, they all chase her until she runs back in the coop. She started out in a dog crate in the coop so they could all get used to each other, and has had the run of the coop for several months now. Sometimes I take her out in the back yard by herself just so she can get some "outdoor" time. Any suggestions, or should I just let nature take it's course? We have seen her go out a couple of times, and this happened both times.

I have a silkie rooster, 7 hens 1 -2 years old, and one pullet who is 5 months old. She does not sit on the roost with the others, but sits on top of the crate by herself.  They are all fine in the coop together, and she tends to stay away from them.  If the pullet goes outside, they all chase her until she runs back in the coop.  She started out in a dog crate in the coop so they could all get used to each other, and has had the run of the coop for several months now.  Sometimes I take her out in the back yard by herself just so she can get some "outdoor" time.  Any suggestions, or should I just let nature take it's course?  We have seen her go out a couple of times, and this happened both times.  

Is she laying yet? My pullets didn't really integrate until they started laying. Then the feathers flew for a day or two and then everything settled down, all nice and integrated. I didn't have a rooster though...

Yes, she has been laying for a couple weeks now and seems to be as big as she's going to get. She is part Americauna and the rooster was silkie. She is larger than some of the birds that are chasing her. I'm hoping as she gets older she may stand up to the others?

Back
Top Bottom