How to spot leg problems in Ducklings??

She does. I'll try a compress tomorrow. She had bath time then Epsom soak. Her leg is broken, or her foot... that's why its been so up and down. I'm pretty sure its broken where her foot meets her leg, but her joint higher up is also VERY swollen. I put her and a chick in a brooder together, the ducks are used to the chicks so its some company but not so much as to cause further injury. I have also taped her legs together and her broken foot. She has been putting the leg up entirely and well I would like her to rest it, it needs to be in the right position, I have seen and read about ducks that do that and their leg is permanently useless after so long =/

She is doing much worse today, it was noticeable especially during her bath time =/

Hopefully the seperate brooder helps. We will see in the morning =/

hugs.gif

I'm so sorry . I'd keep on with the soaks though just try and keep her from putting much weight on her leg /foot the water time will help with that. Are you going to try a vet and get them to splint it?

I'm so sorry . I'd keep on with the soaks though just try and keep her from putting much weight on her leg /foot the water time will help with that. Are you going to try a vet and get them to splint it?
Splinting isn't an option where it seems to be broke, and the only local vet is out of town til tuesday... not to mention my husband would rather put it down than pay $100 or more for a vet bill for a duckling.

Splinting isn't an option where it seems to be broke, and the only local vet is out of town til tuesday... not to mention my husband would rather put it down than pay $100 or more for a vet bill for a duckling.
What about this ....and I understand completely.
Chick Cup or Chicken Basket for Trouble Standing and Walking

• Used to treat birds recovering from Splayed Leg, a Slipped Achilles Tendon, a Broken Leg, or weak leg(s) and/or tipping over caused by various conditions.
  • This is a physical therapy treatment that helps the bird develop correct muscles and correct mental programming of movement patterns.
  • Place the bird in a vertical container that confines the bird such that its upper body is held fairly upright and its feet are spaced slightly wider than a normal standing position. For a young chick, use a container such as small drinking glass. For an older bird, use something such as a small trash basket.
  • The bird will try stretching upward to reach out of the container. (You can also offer a couple treats above its head to help encourage this.)
  • Give the bird regular sessions in the Cup or Basket perhaps 30 minutes or an hour a few times a day. The rest of the time the bird needs to be prevented from developing incorrect mental programming and muscle shapes by keeping it in:
    • Leg Hobbles
    • Chick or Bird Sling (or Chair)
    • Chick Donut
    • Chick Playpen

@Lydia I'll try, I wish I could see a picture to ensure I do this right.

Back
Top Bottom