How to Stop a Dog from Eating Your Chicks

I firmly believe that it is completely do-able if you are willing to put the time and effort into it, and depending on the dog it may take some time. You need to have a foundation of solid overall basic training before you start.
I agree 100%, it is completely doable. I raise and train my own ranch dogs from pups, they are trustworthy around livestock. But untrained dogs and dogs in training should never have access to chickens/chicks until they are proven. Expecting a dog like that to have access to such a temptation and expecting him to ignore it is, in my opinion, expecting to much. Putting a dog in that situation where it is highly, highly likely to fail in an epic way just sets back training that much more.

I agree 100%, it is completely doable. I raise and train my own ranch dogs from pups, they are trustworthy around livestock. But untrained dogs and dogs in training should never have access to chickens/chicks until they are proven. Expecting a dog like that to have access to such a temptation and expecting him to ignore it is, in my opinion, expecting to much. Putting a dog in that situation where it is highly, highly likely to fail in an epic way just sets back training that much more.

How do you train yours?

Keep the chicks where the dog can't get to them, they need protection from other predators anyway. Full grown chickens are extremely tempting for most dogs, chicks.... way too much to expect of most dogs.
Our Labradors are trained gun dogs. It was very hard but with lots of time spent hanging around outside with my chicks/pullets all summer the dogs and now 6 mos old pullets are friends and I dont worry about the dogs eating one. Discipline and being made to "Sit-stay" or "Down-stay" for hours while chicks ran between their legs ect. made the difference. ( Iwould read a novel.) Yesterday, one of the 6 wk old chicks got out of the brooder coop. The dog doing the feeding rounds with me went to jump at the chick BUT a sharp "NO" made her stop. It is very hard because at this age & size they are TEMPTING! Must remind the dogs of quail. Training!! Training! Training! Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom