How to stop a rooster from crowing?

Is a ‘no crow’ collar safe to use on a rooster?

• No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Depends on the brand!

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh ok. well that does clear up some then. :)
Im in NC and we have rules like that here too, sorta.
Im outside the town limits so it doesnt really matter, but i did speak with neighbors first before i acquired our rosster and they were very cool with it. so i guess just check with yours too. the collars are just a hassle cuz you always have to keep an eye on them for safety and proper functionality. but if thats your best bet to keep the peace then go for it. Now He will be nice for now yes, but as those chicks turn into full grown hens, he will take his role as alpha very seriously. PLEASE be careful. Im not an advocate for slaughtering roosters, they get an undeserved bad rap for doing what nature designs them to do. you may get lucky, there are very gentle roosters out there yes, but they are rare. most will "respect" you within their boundries, and some are outright demons. LOL, but please keep a sharp eye on him. as much as we may love and trust them, they have 1 job in life and will do it even if it kills them. keep us updated and good luck :)
Yeah, I am worried about the collar, becuase I don’t want it to become a problem. And our neighbors like our chickens, I just don’t want it to become a problem where he wakes them up when they are sleeping! And as soon as we figure out which of our chicks are roosters, we will be selling them, to pet homes. :)

The No-crow collar works VERY well. BUT, the instructions are not clear. What I recommend is instead of using a "finger" as a spacer between the chicken and the collar (which can vary depending on the size of hand), use 2 number 2 pencils when putting it on to prevent from putting it on too tightly.

Using pencils will also prevent you from getting it too tight on the bottom of the collar (near the roo's feet) and loose at the top. (Pencils are the same circumference from top to bottom, the human finger isn't.

Start with that and see if it lowers the crow volume.

If not, tighten to one pencil as a spacer and see if that works better.

Be with your rooster for a good 30 minutes to an hour to determine if you've gotten it on correctly. At first, he will pout and will lay on the ground in the corner, but he should NEVER be panting for air.

Good luck.
Thank you very much! :)

Yeah, I am worried about the collar, becuase I don’t want it to become a problem. And our neighbors like our chickens, I just don’t want it to become a problem where he wakes them up when they are sleeping! And as soon as we figure out which of our chicks are roosters, we will be selling them, to pet homes. :)
I live out in the country am have become use to roosters lol. But have neighbors that use shock collers on their dogs not a good thing in my oppion if good neighbors they won't complain

I have the same situation as you. My Silkie roo is about 28 weeks now. He is exceptionally docile around me but a great protector of the hens. He alerted me to an impending hawk attack last night before I even realized what was happening. I want to keep him but have neighbors so what I have done is house him in our Florida room during the evening/night collar free. He has a a perch area with food/water, etc. In the morning he crows a few times but the neighbors can't hear him and he's not that loud as to annoy us. I place the collar on him in the morning and outside he goes for the day. He does still crow but it's really muted. I have a few hens who are actually louder than him with the collar on. I checked with both neighbors on either side of me to make sure no one was annoyed (bringing them eggs as a bribe also helps) and all is well!
So...I would say definitely try the collar!

I have the same situation as you. My Silkie roo is about 28 weeks now. He is exceptionally docile around me but a great protector of the hens. He alerted me to an impending hawk attack last night before I even realized what was happening. I want to keep him but have neighbors so what I have done is house him in our Florida room during the evening/night collar free. He has a a perch area with food/water, etc. In the morning he crows a few times but the neighbors can't hear him and he's not that loud as to annoy us. I place the collar on him in the morning and outside he goes for the day. He does still crow but it's really muted. I have a few hens who are actually louder than him with the collar on. I checked with both neighbors on either side of me to make sure no one was annoyed (bringing them eggs as a bribe also helps) and all is well!
So...I would say definitely try the collar!
Lol! Thank you so much for your reply. And I’m looking forward to trying the collar. And my roo is the so sweet we thought he was a hen at first, becuase he and the chicks got along so well! He is a great protector, who works along side our blood hound to keep our flock safe :)

I have the exact same rooster.firstly i noticed my back garden light used to shine in the chicken coop hence them having to crow much earlier so i turned that off and crowed much later the solution was put them in a box in a dark room it worked greatly

How close are your neighbors. Cause if I was working nights, tired and trying to sleep, a rooster near my window would not be pleasant. My own rooster and coop is quite a distance away from my own home. I can hear him crow, if I listen for it, but it is far enough away, that I can easily ignore it.

If you have people living close by, sleeping at odd hours of the day, I would let the boy go.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom