How to stop a rooster from flogging you?!?!

I'm not a breeder, so I can't answer as one, but I don't know why you'd have to wait at all. I would think it's better to get one right away before they get used to not having one around. One less change that way for them.

I have a young rooster doing that started flogging as he came of age. I finally remembered how I tempered a Quaker parrot and have implemented what I lovingly call behavior therapy on my bantum rooster. I catch and wrap him in a towell. I make sure his wings are not in an uncomfortable possition and then swaddle him in the towel with only his neck and head out. If he cranes his neck and squaks I gently push his head down (i fork my fingers over his comb) and tell him to calm down. I carry him around with me for about twenty minutes twice a day. After 3 days he is already showing a much better temperament when I'm around. Now that he is calmer I am going to reduce it to once a day and have the kids carry him as well. I want to make sure he is socialized and not just adjusting to me. When I return him to the yard I grab some scratch or meal worms and toss out for the ladies to eat first. I then allow him to feast with them. I hope this simple method works for you all.

Thx, If I was to kill them all, how long would I need to wait until I get a new one for the hens.
Hello Goldenseabright, You can replace your roosters right away, but I wouldn't save any of the eggs for two weeks. I believe temperament is hereditary and your hens can still be fertile from your mean Rooster for a couple of weeks after he is gone. I think you asked about the Buff Orpington Breed of Roosters. We raise Orpingtons and we have never had an Orpington attack us. They are gentle in all varieties. Good Luck

I have a young rooster doing that started flogging as he came of age. I finally remembered how I tempered a Quaker parrot and have implemented what I lovingly call behavior therapy on my bantum rooster. I catch and wrap him in a towell. I make sure his wings are not in an uncomfortable possition and then swaddle him in the towel with only his neck and head out. If he cranes his neck and squaks I gently push his head down (i fork my fingers over his comb) and tell him to calm down. I carry him around with me for about twenty minutes twice a day. After 3 days he is already showing a much better temperament when I'm around. Now that he is calmer I am going to reduce it to once a day and have the kids carry him as well. I want to make sure he is socialized and not just adjusting to me. When I return him to the yard I grab some scratch or meal worms and toss out for the ladies to eat first. I then allow him to feast with them. I hope this simple method works for you all.

my rooster has become of age where he is flogging the crap out of me because he has all those hormones running through him. I cant even catch him. I want to try your method but its so hot & hes black so Im afraid it will make him overheat or something. hes a beast. he chases me & even calls me out. I dont want to kill him because hes my first rooster & only breeding rooster. He was my baby & now hes a jerk. he doesnt have his full grown spurs yet...Im dreading that day.

Nasty roosters taste great in the crock pot! Only polite cocks get to reproduce in my flock, no exceptions! I've tried the training things, and the weapons, and have figured out that man fighters are idiots who just need to go. It's not sane behavior, IMO. I'm much larger, am not a chicken, and bring food daily. Roosters need to be taking care of their flock and watching out for hawks, not plotting how to take me out! Mary

A human aggressive rooster will sire human aggressive roosters. In my flock, I know who are the parents of all of my breeding flock. Potential breeding birds are banded and run with an all age flock until they are caged for gathering of hatching eggs. Any cockerels that attempt to flog me are put in the freezer promptly. Their sire is removed also. After a few generations, I realized a certain family line of hens were producing the aggressive cockerels. After I removed these hens from the flock very few aggressive cockerels were hatched.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom